Dec 20, 2011, 10:58 PM EDT
Going into the third period, it looked like things were actually going to be easy for the Pittsburgh Penguins. They entered the final frame with a 3-0 lead, but they needed every goal as the Chicago Blackhawks came scorching back into an entertaining contest. The Penguins managed to hang on 3-2 thanks to great work by Marc-Andre Fleury and a few bounces.
Evgeni Malkin was the biggest star of the game, though, as he’s been on fire since Sidney Crosby left Pittsburgh’s lineup again. Malkin has generated a ridiculous 15 points in a six-game scoring streak, including three gorgeous assists tonight. It’s looking like the talented Russian is over the knee issues that plagued him last season. In fact, that great game now has Malkin tied with Phil Kessel, Henrik Sedin and Claude Giroux for the NHL points lead with 39.
The Blackhawks showed that few leads are safe against them, although Joel Quenneville likely hopes to see a more “even” effort from the team. Patrick Sharp‘s nine-game points streak came to an end, as well.
Overall, it was an entertaining match between two teams who very well could meet in far more important games in June 2012.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 16
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)