Dec 20, 2011, 1:47 PM EDT
Le Journal de Montreal – the largest-circulation French-language newspaper in North America — opted for a muted, subtle front page spread this morning after the Canadiens lost their second consecutive game under interim head coach Randy Cunneyworth:
[Rough translation: "Opinion Poll: Quebec is 72% against a unilingual coach."]
Now, keep in mind Le Journal has been accused of sensationalism and “lacking truthfulness” when it comes to covering certain events. Here’s a snippet from a 2007 editorial that ran in the Montreal Gazette:
Le Journal is not an unimpeachable source of information on the state of relations between majority and minorities in Quebec. Just as it used to be said that the Mounties always get their man, Le Journal always finds what it’s looking for – even if it’s not really there.
But even knowing this, folks are still outraged at Le Journal’s treatment of Cunneyworth.
“My beef with the Journal’s front page is using English headline solely to ridicule Cunneyworth,” tweeted the Gazette’s Dave Stubbs. “That is garbage and nothing else.”
“I’d love to see how Le Journal would react if Cunneyworth’s Habs suddenly won at a 125-point pace, and got deep in the playoffs,” added the National Post’s Bruce Arthur.
If you think this story will go away soon, think again. The topic made it all the way to Montreal city council this morning.
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 1
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 4
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 26
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)