Dec 20, 2011, 1:47 PM EDT
Le Journal de Montreal — the largest-circulation French-language newspaper in North America — opted for a muted, subtle front page spread this morning after the Canadiens lost their second consecutive game under interim head coach Randy Cunneyworth:
[Rough translation: “Opinion Poll: Quebec is 72% against a unilingual coach.”]
Now, keep in mind Le Journal has been accused of sensationalism and “lacking truthfulness” when it comes to covering certain events. Here’s a snippet from a 2007 editorial that ran in the Montreal Gazette:
Le Journal is not an unimpeachable source of information on the state of relations between majority and minorities in Quebec. Just as it used to be said that the Mounties always get their man, Le Journal always finds what it’s looking for – even if it’s not really there.
But even knowing this, folks are still outraged at Le Journal’s treatment of Cunneyworth.
“My beef with the Journal’s front page is using English headline solely to ridicule Cunneyworth,” tweeted the Gazette’s Dave Stubbs. “That is garbage and nothing else.”
“I’d love to see how Le Journal would react if Cunneyworth’s Habs suddenly won at a 125-point pace, and got deep in the playoffs,” added the National Post’s Bruce Arthur.
If you think this story will go away soon, think again. The topic made it all the way to Montreal city council this morning.
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Eastern Conference Final Game 6 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 26
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)