Dec 20, 2011, 1:47 PM EDT
Le Journal de Montreal – the largest-circulation French-language newspaper in North America — opted for a muted, subtle front page spread this morning after the Canadiens lost their second consecutive game under interim head coach Randy Cunneyworth:
[Rough translation: "Opinion Poll: Quebec is 72% against a unilingual coach."]
Now, keep in mind Le Journal has been accused of sensationalism and “lacking truthfulness” when it comes to covering certain events. Here’s a snippet from a 2007 editorial that ran in the Montreal Gazette:
Le Journal is not an unimpeachable source of information on the state of relations between majority and minorities in Quebec. Just as it used to be said that the Mounties always get their man, Le Journal always finds what it’s looking for – even if it’s not really there.
But even knowing this, folks are still outraged at Le Journal’s treatment of Cunneyworth.
“My beef with the Journal’s front page is using English headline solely to ridicule Cunneyworth,” tweeted the Gazette’s Dave Stubbs. “That is garbage and nothing else.”
“I’d love to see how Le Journal would react if Cunneyworth’s Habs suddenly won at a 125-point pace, and got deep in the playoffs,” added the National Post’s Bruce Arthur.
If you think this story will go away soon, think again. The topic made it all the way to Montreal city council this morning.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)