Dec 20, 2011, 1:47 PM EDT
Le Journal de Montreal – the largest-circulation French-language newspaper in North America — opted for a muted, subtle front page spread this morning after the Canadiens lost their second consecutive game under interim head coach Randy Cunneyworth:
[Rough translation: "Opinion Poll: Quebec is 72% against a unilingual coach."]
Now, keep in mind Le Journal has been accused of sensationalism and “lacking truthfulness” when it comes to covering certain events. Here’s a snippet from a 2007 editorial that ran in the Montreal Gazette:
Le Journal is not an unimpeachable source of information on the state of relations between majority and minorities in Quebec. Just as it used to be said that the Mounties always get their man, Le Journal always finds what it’s looking for – even if it’s not really there.
But even knowing this, folks are still outraged at Le Journal’s treatment of Cunneyworth.
“My beef with the Journal’s front page is using English headline solely to ridicule Cunneyworth,” tweeted the Gazette’s Dave Stubbs. “That is garbage and nothing else.”
“I’d love to see how Le Journal would react if Cunneyworth’s Habs suddenly won at a 125-point pace, and got deep in the playoffs,” added the National Post’s Bruce Arthur.
If you think this story will go away soon, think again. The topic made it all the way to Montreal city council this morning.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)