Dec 20, 2011, 1:47 PM EST
Le Journal de Montreal – the largest-circulation French-language newspaper in North America — opted for a muted, subtle front page spread this morning after the Canadiens lost their second consecutive game under interim head coach Randy Cunneyworth:
[Rough translation: “Opinion Poll: Quebec is 72% against a unilingual coach.”]
Now, keep in mind Le Journal has been accused of sensationalism and “lacking truthfulness” when it comes to covering certain events. Here’s a snippet from a 2007 editorial that ran in the Montreal Gazette:
Le Journal is not an unimpeachable source of information on the state of relations between majority and minorities in Quebec. Just as it used to be said that the Mounties always get their man, Le Journal always finds what it’s looking for – even if it’s not really there.
But even knowing this, folks are still outraged at Le Journal’s treatment of Cunneyworth.
“My beef with the Journal’s front page is using English headline solely to ridicule Cunneyworth,” tweeted the Gazette’s Dave Stubbs. “That is garbage and nothing else.”
“I’d love to see how Le Journal would react if Cunneyworth’s Habs suddenly won at a 125-point pace, and got deep in the playoffs,” added the National Post’s Bruce Arthur.
If you think this story will go away soon, think again. The topic made it all the way to Montreal city council this morning.
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 0
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 43
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 31