Dec 20, 2011, 2:37 PM EDT
Ottawa’s Scotiabank Place can hold up to 20,500 people.
Tonight, roughly half of them will be Folignos.
The Senators will host the Sabres tonight at Scotiabank in what many are calling “The Foligno Bowl.” (Okay, it’s only being called at PHT headquarters, which is actually an abandoned gas station bathroom.)
Brothers Nick and Marcus Foligno will play against each other for the first time in an NHL contest after Buffalo called Marcus up from AHL Rochester yesterday. Needless to say, the brothers are fairly stoked about the timing.
“He’s really excited. He’s got a great opportunity and he has to make the most of it, and he knows that,” Nick told the Ottawa Sun. “I think it’s going to be great. It’ll be great when I first see him on the ice. It’s pretty fun. I’m sure we’ll both laugh.
“I know he’s so excited. I spoke with him last night. He’s thrilled for the opportunity and hopefully he can make the most of it. He just wants to come up and play really well. I have full confidence.”
In addition to those on the ice, there should be plenty of Folignos in the stands. Nick and Marcus’ father, former Anaheim assistant coach Mike Foligno, will be in attendance along with approximately 30 family members.
“It’s pretty neat,” Nick said. “We’ve been really fortunate. I got to play against my Dad last year and now my brother. His first game against me is really exciting for the whole family.”
This is just the latest sibling matchup in what’s been a season of brotherly hockey love. We’ve already seen four sets of brothers face each other for the first time:
As we’re wont to do anytime brothers square off, here’s video of the time Keith and Wayne Primeau played against each other…and beat each other up:
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)