Dec 20, 2011, 8:29 AM EDT
The problems the Sabres have been having this season after spending so much money this summer are making everyone cranky, including columnist Jerry Sullivan from The Buffalo News.
Sullivan has had it with the Sabres losing ways and wants to see things change drastically. He wants to see GM Darcy Regier fired, coach Lindy Ruff fired, and trades to be made all over the place. Most of his frustrated vitriol, however, was saved for Ryan Miller.
Sullivan says that owner Terry Pegula’s harsh words for his team’s goaltending were pointed at Miller and says that Miller’s poor performance this season is due in part to something much more personal. He also says Miller’s mind might be elsewhere because his wife is in California.
Piggybacking off of Bucky Gleason’s assertion that Miller trade talks happened with the Anaheim Ducks for Bobby Ryan is a daring move and one that only helps feed the fire for talk that Miller might actually want to be out of Buffalo. Sullivan sticks to his point, however, saying that there’s no longer any reason to consider Miller untouchable and that dealing him before his value falls off further would hurt the team.
Getting Miller figured out serves the Sabres better than trading him when his value is at its lowest. Besides, repeating the mistake the Sabres made when they traded Dominik Hasek for Slava Kozlov back in 2001 doesn’t sound like a recipe for championships to happen in the first place.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 15
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 26
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)