Dec 20, 2011, 12:29 PM EDT
Adam Larsson is sick of being hit in the head and doesn’t want to see anyone else deal with it anymore.
Larsson spoke out after the NHL took no action against Montreal’s Erik Cole for connecting with Larsson’s head in their game on Saturday. Rather than see selective punishment, Larsson wants the league to take things a step further.
Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger gets the rookie’s take on a major issue and he was blunt about Cole’s hit and head shots in general.
“I was surprised actually. That is not a part of hockey,” Larsson said of getting hit in the head with Cole’s shoulder. “They should take away all hits to the head. But I can’t really do anything about it.”
Getting rid of hits to the head overall has been an issue the NHL and NHLPA have been reluctant to get settled because of how they feel it will change how guys play the game. They also figure that banning head shots will be virtually impossible to do.
Larsson might be just a rookie, but the league and union might do well to listen to him. Even if Larsson feels he can’t do anything, speaking up about it is doing more than others have tried.
- Video: Patrick Kane scores a beauty against Buffalo 0
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 24
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)