Dec 20, 2011, 12:29 PM EDT
Adam Larsson is sick of being hit in the head and doesn’t want to see anyone else deal with it anymore.
Larsson spoke out after the NHL took no action against Montreal’s Erik Cole for connecting with Larsson’s head in their game on Saturday. Rather than see selective punishment, Larsson wants the league to take things a step further.
Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger gets the rookie’s take on a major issue and he was blunt about Cole’s hit and head shots in general.
“I was surprised actually. That is not a part of hockey,” Larsson said of getting hit in the head with Cole’s shoulder. “They should take away all hits to the head. But I can’t really do anything about it.”
Getting rid of hits to the head overall has been an issue the NHL and NHLPA have been reluctant to get settled because of how they feel it will change how guys play the game. They also figure that banning head shots will be virtually impossible to do.
Larsson might be just a rookie, but the league and union might do well to listen to him. Even if Larsson feels he can’t do anything, speaking up about it is doing more than others have tried.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)