Dec 20, 2011, 12:29 PM EDT
Adam Larsson is sick of being hit in the head and doesn’t want to see anyone else deal with it anymore.
Larsson spoke out after the NHL took no action against Montreal’s Erik Cole for connecting with Larsson’s head in their game on Saturday. Rather than see selective punishment, Larsson wants the league to take things a step further.
Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger gets the rookie’s take on a major issue and he was blunt about Cole’s hit and head shots in general.
“I was surprised actually. That is not a part of hockey,” Larsson said of getting hit in the head with Cole’s shoulder. “They should take away all hits to the head. But I can’t really do anything about it.”
Getting rid of hits to the head overall has been an issue the NHL and NHLPA have been reluctant to get settled because of how they feel it will change how guys play the game. They also figure that banning head shots will be virtually impossible to do.
Larsson might be just a rookie, but the league and union might do well to listen to him. Even if Larsson feels he can’t do anything, speaking up about it is doing more than others have tried.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 23
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 94
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)