Dec 19, 2011, 6:37 PM EDT
Did Sweden throw a game in the 2006 Winter Olympics in order to get a preferential path to the gold-medal game?
Peter Forsberg seems to have insinuated his team intentionally lost to Slovakia – or at the very least, didn’t give it a full effort – in order to avoid a matchup with Canada or Russia in the medal round.
But Canucks captain – and fellow member of the gold medal-winning 2006 Swedish Olympic team – Henrik Sedin says Forsberg is mistaken.
“No, not at all,” Sedin told reporters today. “I was really surprised when I read it. We didn’t talk about it in the room, the coaches didn’t talk about it. I was surprised. When you put that jersey on, you want to win games. I don’t think we thought about that before the game. Maybe with a few minutes left it came up, but not during the game.”
Mats Sundin, Sweden’s captain in 2006, has also refuted what Forsberg said.
Anyway, the truth probably lies somewhere between outright tanking and putting it all on the line to beat Slovakia.
“You have to remember, too, that we were already in the quarter-finals,” added Henrik. “It wasn’t a big game for us, so to speak. So that might have been part of it.”
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 16
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 24
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 34
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)