Dec 19, 2011, 8:15 AM EST
Randy Cunneyworth might be the least envied coach, interim or otherwise, in the league.
Not only does Cunneyworth slide in after Jacques Martin’s firing he also has to deal with half of Quebec hating that he’s even there because he doesn’t speak French. The Canadiens’ schedule does nothing to help him out right away either.
After taking a 5-3 beat down from New Jersey on Saturday, Montreal gets to deal with Boston tonight. Not only is the game in Boston against a hated rival, but it’s a Bruins team that is relentlessly beating opponents down. Rivalry games are a different sort of beast usually, but with Montreal in tumult at the moment, things don’t shape up well for the Habs.
On Wednesday, Montreal follows up a grueling game with Boston with back-to-back nights in Chicago and Winnipeg against the streaking Blackhawks and the tough-at-home Jets. If you thought the complaints against Cunneyworth’s interim appointment were annoying now, just wait til Christmas rolls around at the end of the week and Quebecois and Anglophones alike in Montreal are trying stuff his stocking with coal and pink slips.
If the Canadiens are serious about getting locked into the playoff race and doing something to give the coach a break, they’ll figure out a way to finish the week with more than three points in the standings. Then again, maybe the players could be just trying to find a way to get Pierre Gauthier canned too.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12