Dec 19, 2011, 12:16 PM EST
If you thought Patrick Roy the player was fiery in Montreal, imagine him as coach or general manager.
It’s a dream for now, but Roy tells RDS in Quebec that if the Canadiens came calling for an open position with the team, he’d be more than happy to listen to their offer. Roy says that once the season is over if there’s a job out there to be had with an organization he’d want to consider what role they had in store for him.
Even in Montreal?
“…Yes – it is certain I would listen if the Canadiens called,” Roy said.
Pierre Gauthier and Randy Cunneyworth might want to watch their backs.
This is the same Patrick Roy that stormed out of a game in 1995 saying he’d never play for the organization again after being left in to give up nine goals to Detroit. The same Roy who won two more Stanley Cups with the Colorado Avalanche. The same Roy who is currently coach, GM, and part-owner of the Quebec Remparts in the QMJHL.
Roy’s done well coaching junior hockey even with the occasional circus side show that develops thanks to him being a feisty guy with a penchant for insulting rival GMs. At least he isn’t complaining about all the Stanley Cup rings in his ears giving him hearing trouble anymore.
Having Roy working in Montreal would be worth it just for the occasional meltdown in handling the Montreal media. We’ve got the popcorn on standby to be popped for this show.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)