Dec 19, 2011, 10:12 AM EST
Filly might not want to do the AHL, but he might not have another choice.
Yahoo!’s Dmitry Chesnokov reports that Nikita Filatov could be on his way back to North America if his situation in the KHL isn’t figured out. Chesnokov says that Filatov’s Russian agent wants his client traded from CSKA in the KHL if they’re unable to get a contract worked out.
Should that not happen, Filatov’s agent says his client would be on his way back to Ottawa with an eventual destination in Binghamton yet again. This is a lot of drama for a player that hasn’t met his potential anywhere he’s played be it in North America or Russia. While Filatov is a very talented player, he hasn’t put it together at all with either Columbus or with Ottawa.
This season could be Filatov’s last chance to prove himself for the NHL as he’s due to be a restricted free agent after this season. With his ups and downs this year, Ottawa re-signing him would seem unlikely if he can’t show them he can play. If he stays on in the KHL this season, we might not see him back in the NHL or AHL for a while.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 16
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 16
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 7
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8