Dec 19, 2011, 10:12 AM EDT
Filly might not want to do the AHL, but he might not have another choice.
Yahoo!’s Dmitry Chesnokov reports that Nikita Filatov could be on his way back to North America if his situation in the KHL isn’t figured out. Chesnokov says that Filatov’s Russian agent wants his client traded from CSKA in the KHL if they’re unable to get a contract worked out.
Should that not happen, Filatov’s agent says his client would be on his way back to Ottawa with an eventual destination in Binghamton yet again. This is a lot of drama for a player that hasn’t met his potential anywhere he’s played be it in North America or Russia. While Filatov is a very talented player, he hasn’t put it together at all with either Columbus or with Ottawa.
This season could be Filatov’s last chance to prove himself for the NHL as he’s due to be a restricted free agent after this season. With his ups and downs this year, Ottawa re-signing him would seem unlikely if he can’t show them he can play. If he stays on in the KHL this season, we might not see him back in the NHL or AHL for a while.
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 5
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 6
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 36
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 48
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 66
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (79)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)