Dec 19, 2011, 10:12 AM EDT
Filly might not want to do the AHL, but he might not have another choice.
Yahoo!’s Dmitry Chesnokov reports that Nikita Filatov could be on his way back to North America if his situation in the KHL isn’t figured out. Chesnokov says that Filatov’s Russian agent wants his client traded from CSKA in the KHL if they’re unable to get a contract worked out.
Should that not happen, Filatov’s agent says his client would be on his way back to Ottawa with an eventual destination in Binghamton yet again. This is a lot of drama for a player that hasn’t met his potential anywhere he’s played be it in North America or Russia. While Filatov is a very talented player, he hasn’t put it together at all with either Columbus or with Ottawa.
This season could be Filatov’s last chance to prove himself for the NHL as he’s due to be a restricted free agent after this season. With his ups and downs this year, Ottawa re-signing him would seem unlikely if he can’t show them he can play. If he stays on in the KHL this season, we might not see him back in the NHL or AHL for a while.
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 0
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 10
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 24
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22