Dec 19, 2011, 1:18 PM EDT
Marc Staal‘s season might be getting closer to starting in New York.
The Rangers updated Staal’s recovery from concussion-like symptoms today and said the young defenseman could be cleared for contact in the coming days. Staal has missed all of the season and training camp thanks to having trouble getting over the concussion he suffered last season in a massive collision with his brother Eric.
New York’s defense without Staal, however, has held strong. Dan Girardi has been a rock for them and the play of Henrik Lundqvist in goal has helped save them from any mistakes. Staal is their big gun though and getting him back in the lineup (whenever that happens) will give the Rangers a huge lift and make them an even tougher out in the Eastern Conference.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 2
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)