Dec 19, 2011, 1:18 PM EDT
Marc Staal‘s season might be getting closer to starting in New York.
The Rangers updated Staal’s recovery from concussion-like symptoms today and said the young defenseman could be cleared for contact in the coming days. Staal has missed all of the season and training camp thanks to having trouble getting over the concussion he suffered last season in a massive collision with his brother Eric.
New York’s defense without Staal, however, has held strong. Dan Girardi has been a rock for them and the play of Henrik Lundqvist in goal has helped save them from any mistakes. Staal is their big gun though and getting him back in the lineup (whenever that happens) will give the Rangers a huge lift and make them an even tougher out in the Eastern Conference.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5