Dec 19, 2011, 1:18 PM EST
Marc Staal‘s season might be getting closer to starting in New York.
The Rangers updated Staal’s recovery from concussion-like symptoms today and said the young defenseman could be cleared for contact in the coming days. Staal has missed all of the season and training camp thanks to having trouble getting over the concussion he suffered last season in a massive collision with his brother Eric.
New York’s defense without Staal, however, has held strong. Dan Girardi has been a rock for them and the play of Henrik Lundqvist in goal has helped save them from any mistakes. Staal is their big gun though and getting him back in the lineup (whenever that happens) will give the Rangers a huge lift and make them an even tougher out in the Eastern Conference.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 2
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 32
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46