Dec 19, 2011, 1:18 PM EST
Marc Staal‘s season might be getting closer to starting in New York.
The Rangers updated Staal’s recovery from concussion-like symptoms today and said the young defenseman could be cleared for contact in the coming days. Staal has missed all of the season and training camp thanks to having trouble getting over the concussion he suffered last season in a massive collision with his brother Eric.
New York’s defense without Staal, however, has held strong. Dan Girardi has been a rock for them and the play of Henrik Lundqvist in goal has helped save them from any mistakes. Staal is their big gun though and getting him back in the lineup (whenever that happens) will give the Rangers a huge lift and make them an even tougher out in the Eastern Conference.
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 27
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 6
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 20
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 52
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 52
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 58
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 16
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)