Dec 19, 2011, 10:31 PM EDT
The 2011-12 season hasn’t been very friendly to new and/or interim head coaches not named Ken Hitchcock. With that thought in mind, John Stevens fared reasonably well in his time running the Los Angeles Kings. Stevens generated a 2-2 record thanks to a 3-2 shootout win against the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Bob McKenzie singled out Kings captain Dustin Brown as a possible trade target before tonight’s game, but the hard-hitting forward carried the Kings to that victory. Brown scored a power-play goal during regulation and the shootout game-winner while another struggling L.A. winger (Justin Williams) notched the other tally.
This team hasn’t made a dramatic turnaround since Terry Murry was fired, but Darryl Sutter has at least a few bright sides to look on once he finally becomes the team’s head coach. Check out highlights from the game below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 46
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)