Dec 19, 2011, 12:25 PM EDT
After recording three multi-point outings and finishing with eight points, Ottawa Senators center Jason Spezza has been named the NHL’s first star of the week.
When asked about his performance, here’s what Spezza had to say:
Second star went to Nashville Predators goalie Pekka Rinne. The $49-million man went 3-0-0 with a .957 save percentage and, perhaps most impressively, each win was of the single-goal variety. He beat the Flames 2-1, the Red Wings 4-3 and the Blues 2-1. All told, Rinne stopped 111 of 116 shots faced.
Third star of the week went to Penguins center Evgeni Malkin. Like Spezza, he also recorded eight points in three games — five of which were goals — and notched his first hat trick of the season in an 8-3 rout of the Sabres. It was one of the finest performances of Malkin’s career, right up there with his scintillating acting debut in the A&L Motor Sales commercial.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)