Dec 19, 2011, 12:25 PM EST
After recording three multi-point outings and finishing with eight points, Ottawa Senators center Jason Spezza has been named the NHL’s first star of the week.
When asked about his performance, here’s what Spezza had to say:
Second star went to Nashville Predators goalie Pekka Rinne. The $49-million man went 3-0-0 with a .957 save percentage and, perhaps most impressively, each win was of the single-goal variety. He beat the Flames 2-1, the Red Wings 4-3 and the Blues 2-1. All told, Rinne stopped 111 of 116 shots faced.
Third star of the week went to Penguins center Evgeni Malkin. Like Spezza, he also recorded eight points in three games — five of which were goals — and notched his first hat trick of the season in an 8-3 rout of the Sabres. It was one of the finest performances of Malkin’s career, right up there with his scintillating acting debut in the A&L Motor Sales commercial.
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 0
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 7
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 1
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 24
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11