Dec 19, 2011, 12:25 PM EDT
After recording three multi-point outings and finishing with eight points, Ottawa Senators center Jason Spezza has been named the NHL’s first star of the week.
When asked about his performance, here’s what Spezza had to say:
Second star went to Nashville Predators goalie Pekka Rinne. The $49-million man went 3-0-0 with a .957 save percentage and, perhaps most impressively, each win was of the single-goal variety. He beat the Flames 2-1, the Red Wings 4-3 and the Blues 2-1. All told, Rinne stopped 111 of 116 shots faced.
Third star of the week went to Penguins center Evgeni Malkin. Like Spezza, he also recorded eight points in three games — five of which were goals — and notched his first hat trick of the season in an 8-3 rout of the Sabres. It was one of the finest performances of Malkin’s career, right up there with his scintillating acting debut in the A&L Motor Sales commercial.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 17
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 15
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5