Dec 19, 2011, 5:41 PM EDT
During Saturday’s 3-2 win over Edmonton, San Jose winger Martin Havlat suffered a freak leg injury after trying to hop the boards midway through the third period:
Now it’s possible the injury has gone from “freak” to “serious.”
Havlat won’t play Wednesday when the Sharks host the Tampa Bay Lighting and could be out for a while. Head coach Todd McLellan told the Mercury News that Havlat will be medically re-evaluated and they’ll know more later — but based on the winger’s comments and physical response, it doesn’t sound good.
“[My skate got] caught a little bit. It was just quick and I felt pain,” Havlat explained. “I couldn’t even get up so I had to get off right away. I didn’t want to be on the ice for that long.”
As you can see in the video, Havlat crawled off the ice and didn’t put any weight on his left leg upon getting back to the bench. He left HP Pavilion that night with the help of a walking cane, though he says he didn’t hear anything “pop” upon hitting the ice.
“No, just pain. That’s all,” he told Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area.
The injury couldn’t have come at a worse time. After struggling for most of the season, Havlat recorded three points in his last two games and scored against Edmonton, snapping an 18-game goalless drought.
“I was starting to feel better and we won the last two games so I think the whole team was starting to play better,” Havlat said. “Unfortunately that stupid fluke happened.”
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 19
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery