Dec 19, 2011, 8:37 PM EDT
You may not be aware of “Canadian children’s entertainer” Raffi Cavoukian, but it might be best to know him as Don Cherry’s latest critic.
It probably wouldn’t be accurate to call him the “loudest” one, though, since he started a Twitter campaign to “mute” the fiery Canadian hockey analyst. Cavoukian explained his reasoning to Chris Zelkovich of The Star.
“For years I’ve been watching him get louder and louder,” Cavoukian said. “He sounds and acts like a bully. That’s not fun and it’s not a good example for the kids who are watching.
“In this day and age of all the hockey violence, we should be putting a stop to this.”
Zelkovich reports that there was some pro-Cherry backlash – complete with a “#muteraffi” campaign – but 62 percent of The Star’s readers “sided” with the children’s singer.
It’s an amusing squabble, especially if you imagine other clashes of kids shows and hockey personalities. I take delight in picturing Todd Bertuzzi vs. Barney and Spongebob Squarepants against Sean Avery, in particular.
(Raffi photo via his Twitter page.)
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury 5
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 25
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)