Dec 19, 2011, 8:37 PM EDT
You may not be aware of “Canadian children’s entertainer” Raffi Cavoukian, but it might be best to know him as Don Cherry’s latest critic.
It probably wouldn’t be accurate to call him the “loudest” one, though, since he started a Twitter campaign to “mute” the fiery Canadian hockey analyst. Cavoukian explained his reasoning to Chris Zelkovich of The Star.
“For years I’ve been watching him get louder and louder,” Cavoukian said. “He sounds and acts like a bully. That’s not fun and it’s not a good example for the kids who are watching.
“In this day and age of all the hockey violence, we should be putting a stop to this.”
Zelkovich reports that there was some pro-Cherry backlash – complete with a “#muteraffi” campaign – but 62 percent of The Star’s readers “sided” with the children’s singer.
It’s an amusing squabble, especially if you imagine other clashes of kids shows and hockey personalities. I take delight in picturing Todd Bertuzzi vs. Barney and Spongebob Squarepants against Sean Avery, in particular.
(Raffi photo via his Twitter page.)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 67
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)