Dec 19, 2011, 8:37 PM EST
You may not be aware of “Canadian children’s entertainer” Raffi Cavoukian, but it might be best to know him as Don Cherry’s latest critic.
It probably wouldn’t be accurate to call him the “loudest” one, though, since he started a Twitter campaign to “mute” the fiery Canadian hockey analyst. Cavoukian explained his reasoning to Chris Zelkovich of The Star.
“For years I’ve been watching him get louder and louder,” Cavoukian said. “He sounds and acts like a bully. That’s not fun and it’s not a good example for the kids who are watching.
“In this day and age of all the hockey violence, we should be putting a stop to this.”
Zelkovich reports that there was some pro-Cherry backlash – complete with a “#muteraffi” campaign – but 62 percent of The Star’s readers “sided” with the children’s singer.
It’s an amusing squabble, especially if you imagine other clashes of kids shows and hockey personalities. I take delight in picturing Todd Bertuzzi vs. Barney and Spongebob Squarepants against Sean Avery, in particular.
(Raffi photo via his Twitter page.)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 57
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 72
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (72)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)