Dec 19, 2011, 7:01 PM EDT
Bourque was given a five-minute major and game misconduct for the hit. There was some debate whether Seabrook’s stick making contact with the official and quick glance for the puck played a role in the hit, something Shanahan ruled out.
“Despite the fact Seabrook is looking back and to his right, Bourque continues his pursuit,” he explained. “[He] finishes Seabrook high and forcefully from behind, driving Seabrook’s head into the boards.”
Bourque will miss games Dec. 20 vs. Minnesota and Dec. 22 vs. Detroit, eligible to return Dec. 23 at Vancouver. As for Seabrook, he traveled with the team to Pittsburgh for Tuesday’s game versus the Penguins, but head coach Joel Quenneville didn’t say if the rugged defenseman would be made available.
PHT Related: Bourque tossed for boarding Seabrook
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 41
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 17
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 16
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 36
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 96
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead