Dec 19, 2011, 7:01 PM EST
Bourque was given a five-minute major and game misconduct for the hit. There was some debate whether Seabrook’s stick making contact with the official and quick glance for the puck played a role in the hit, something Shanahan ruled out.
“Despite the fact Seabrook is looking back and to his right, Bourque continues his pursuit,” he explained. “[He] finishes Seabrook high and forcefully from behind, driving Seabrook’s head into the boards.”
Bourque will miss games Dec. 20 vs. Minnesota and Dec. 22 vs. Detroit, eligible to return Dec. 23 at Vancouver. As for Seabrook, he traveled with the team to Pittsburgh for Tuesday’s game versus the Penguins, but head coach Joel Quenneville didn’t say if the rugged defenseman would be made available.
PHT Related: Bourque tossed for boarding Seabrook
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54