Dec 18, 2011, 7:37 AM EST
There’s a old saying that goes something like this: “if it weren’t for the last minute, nothing would ever get done.” The New York Rangers took that saying to a new level on Saturday night with their last second, 3-2 victory over the Coyotes in Glendale. Make that a last split-second victory over the Coyotes.
Both teams were ready to head to overtime after a Brad Richards shot had presumably gone into the net after the final horn. But after a video review from the war room in Toronto, it was ruled that Brad Richards’ desperation shot crossed the line with 0.1 second left on the clock.
Talk about a heartbreaking way for Phoenix to lose a point in the standings. It was the first time this season that they were unable to hold a lead when entering the third period.
After the game, Richards said that waiting for the review was the hardest part. “There was a TV between the benches and on the TV it said 0.1 (seconds) was left when the puck was over,” Richards said after the game. “That’s not a good feeling. You have to wait, it’s not in your control, but it worked out.”
Here’s what the final seconds looked like from Arizona:
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 10
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 26
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 78
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)