Dec 18, 2011, 7:37 AM EST
There’s a old saying that goes something like this: “if it weren’t for the last minute, nothing would ever get done.” The New York Rangers took that saying to a new level on Saturday night with their last second, 3-2 victory over the Coyotes in Glendale. Make that a last split-second victory over the Coyotes.
Both teams were ready to head to overtime after a Brad Richards shot had presumably gone into the net after the final horn. But after a video review from the war room in Toronto, it was ruled that Brad Richards’ desperation shot crossed the line with 0.1 second left on the clock.
Talk about a heartbreaking way for Phoenix to lose a point in the standings. It was the first time this season that they were unable to hold a lead when entering the third period.
After the game, Richards said that waiting for the review was the hardest part. “There was a TV between the benches and on the TV it said 0.1 (seconds) was left when the puck was over,” Richards said after the game. “That’s not a good feeling. You have to wait, it’s not in your control, but it worked out.”
Here’s what the final seconds looked like from Arizona:
- BREAKING: Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM 15
- Mike Richards clears waivers 25
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)