Dec 18, 2011, 7:37 AM EDT
There’s a old saying that goes something like this: “if it weren’t for the last minute, nothing would ever get done.” The New York Rangers took that saying to a new level on Saturday night with their last second, 3-2 victory over the Coyotes in Glendale. Make that a last split-second victory over the Coyotes.
Both teams were ready to head to overtime after a Brad Richards shot had presumably gone into the net after the final horn. But after a video review from the war room in Toronto, it was ruled that Brad Richards’ desperation shot crossed the line with 0.1 second left on the clock.
Talk about a heartbreaking way for Phoenix to lose a point in the standings. It was the first time this season that they were unable to hold a lead when entering the third period.
After the game, Richards said that waiting for the review was the hardest part. “There was a TV between the benches and on the TV it said 0.1 (seconds) was left when the puck was over,” Richards said after the game. “That’s not a good feeling. You have to wait, it’s not in your control, but it worked out.”
Here’s what the final seconds looked like from Arizona:
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)