Dec 18, 2011, 7:37 AM EDT
There’s a old saying that goes something like this: “if it weren’t for the last minute, nothing would ever get done.” The New York Rangers took that saying to a new level on Saturday night with their last second, 3-2 victory over the Coyotes in Glendale. Make that a last split-second victory over the Coyotes.
Both teams were ready to head to overtime after a Brad Richards shot had presumably gone into the net after the final horn. But after a video review from the war room in Toronto, it was ruled that Brad Richards’ desperation shot crossed the line with 0.1 second left on the clock.
Talk about a heartbreaking way for Phoenix to lose a point in the standings. It was the first time this season that they were unable to hold a lead when entering the third period.
After the game, Richards said that waiting for the review was the hardest part. “There was a TV between the benches and on the TV it said 0.1 (seconds) was left when the puck was over,” Richards said after the game. “That’s not a good feeling. You have to wait, it’s not in your control, but it worked out.”
Here’s what the final seconds looked like from Arizona:
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 6
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 43
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 72
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 26
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40