Dec 18, 2011, 7:37 AM EDT
There’s a old saying that goes something like this: “if it weren’t for the last minute, nothing would ever get done.” The New York Rangers took that saying to a new level on Saturday night with their last second, 3-2 victory over the Coyotes in Glendale. Make that a last split-second victory over the Coyotes.
Both teams were ready to head to overtime after a Brad Richards shot had presumably gone into the net after the final horn. But after a video review from the war room in Toronto, it was ruled that Brad Richards’ desperation shot crossed the line with 0.1 second left on the clock.
Talk about a heartbreaking way for Phoenix to lose a point in the standings. It was the first time this season that they were unable to hold a lead when entering the third period.
After the game, Richards said that waiting for the review was the hardest part. “There was a TV between the benches and on the TV it said 0.1 (seconds) was left when the puck was over,” Richards said after the game. “That’s not a good feeling. You have to wait, it’s not in your control, but it worked out.”
Here’s what the final seconds looked like from Arizona:
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 4
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 35
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)