Dec 18, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Weird scene last night at the HP Pavilion during San Jose’s 3-2 win over Edmonton. Sharks winger Martin Havlat, who opened the scoring on a beauty give-and-go with Michal Handzus, went for a routine line change midway through the third period…only to have it end in disaster:
As the video shows, Havlat was in serious discomfort. He didn’t play another shift in the third period and CSN Bay Area’s Brodie Brazil reported he left the arena with the help of a walking stick.
There’s no word on the type or severity of Havlat’s injury (CSN Bay Area’s Kevin Kurz noted Havlat left without putting any weight on his left leg), though many are speculating it’s an ankle issue.
It’s the latest in a season filled with setbacks and disappointments. Last night’s goal was Havlat’s first in 18 games, another sign he was turning things around (he had two assists against Colorado the game prior) after struggling through an injury-plagued season.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)