Dec 18, 2011, 11:51 AM EST
Weird scene last night at the HP Pavilion during San Jose’s 3-2 win over Edmonton. Sharks winger Martin Havlat, who opened the scoring on a beauty give-and-go with Michal Handzus, went for a routine line change midway through the third period…only to have it end in disaster:
As the video shows, Havlat was in serious discomfort. He didn’t play another shift in the third period and CSN Bay Area’s Brodie Brazil reported he left the arena with the help of a walking stick.
There’s no word on the type or severity of Havlat’s injury (CSN Bay Area’s Kevin Kurz noted Havlat left without putting any weight on his left leg), though many are speculating it’s an ankle issue.
It’s the latest in a season filled with setbacks and disappointments. Last night’s goal was Havlat’s first in 18 games, another sign he was turning things around (he had two assists against Colorado the game prior) after struggling through an injury-plagued season.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)