Dec 18, 2011, 11:51 AM EST
Weird scene last night at the HP Pavilion during San Jose’s 3-2 win over Edmonton. Sharks winger Martin Havlat, who opened the scoring on a beauty give-and-go with Michal Handzus, went for a routine line change midway through the third period…only to have it end in disaster:
As the video shows, Havlat was in serious discomfort. He didn’t play another shift in the third period and CSN Bay Area’s Brodie Brazil reported he left the arena with the help of a walking stick.
There’s no word on the type or severity of Havlat’s injury (CSN Bay Area’s Kevin Kurz noted Havlat left without putting any weight on his left leg), though many are speculating it’s an ankle issue.
It’s the latest in a season filled with setbacks and disappointments. Last night’s goal was Havlat’s first in 18 games, another sign he was turning things around (he had two assists against Colorado the game prior) after struggling through an injury-plagued season.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)