Dec 18, 2011, 9:57 PM EST
Bourque was given a five-minute major and game misconduct for the hit, but the more pressing concern was Seabrook’s health. The rugged blueliner looked to be out cold for a moment before woozily leaving the ice. Jesse Rogers of ESPN Chicago notes the ‘Hawks quickly shut Seabrook down for the night, saying he had an upper-body injury.
Two things to note here. One, Seabrook and Bourque are quite familiar with one another. They were teammates in Chicago for three seasons and first got re-acquainted during the 2009 season with this big collision.
Two, this marks the third nasty hit Seabrook’s taken in the last 21 months. The first was this blow to the head from then-Anaheim defenseman James Wisniewski:
The second was this hit from Vancouver’s Raffi Torres in the opening round of last spring’s playoffs:
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 9
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 6
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 34
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11