Dec 18, 2011, 2:19 PM EDT
As you may have heard, there’s an outdoor hockey game being played Jan. 2 at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia between the hometown Flyers and New York Rangers. They call it the Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic, and it can be seen on NBC (1 p.m. ET), home to hit shows like Sunday Night Football and Law & Order: SVU.
Given the game is outside, it’s important the weather cooperates – not just for the actual game, but to perfect the ice surface in the days leading up to the big event. As such, we’ll be providing regular Winter Classic weather forecasts here on PHT.
Here’s the 14-day outlook, courtesy the good people at The Weather Network.
As you can see, Jan. 2 is just outside the 14-day range, but the trend looks good so far as precipitation, or lack thereof, goes.
Only worrying part might be the temperature. How warm is too warm?
Update: (6 p.m. ET): Sincere apologies to those who are Celsius-illiterate. All further Winter Classic weather updates will be in Fahrenheit…even though it’s hard to respect a measure where zero isn’t the melting point of ice. But hey, the freezing point of brine is important for everyone to know, too.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 59
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal