Dec 18, 2011, 2:19 PM EST
As you may have heard, there’s an outdoor hockey game being played Jan. 2 at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia between the hometown Flyers and New York Rangers. They call it the Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic, and it can be seen on NBC (1 p.m. ET), home to hit shows like Sunday Night Football and Law & Order: SVU.
Given the game is outside, it’s important the weather cooperates – not just for the actual game, but to perfect the ice surface in the days leading up to the big event. As such, we’ll be providing regular Winter Classic weather forecasts here on PHT.
Here’s the 14-day outlook, courtesy the good people at The Weather Network.
As you can see, Jan. 2 is just outside the 14-day range, but the trend looks good so far as precipitation, or lack thereof, goes.
Only worrying part might be the temperature. How warm is too warm?
Update: (6 p.m. ET): Sincere apologies to those who are Celsius-illiterate. All further Winter Classic weather updates will be in Fahrenheit…even though it’s hard to respect a measure where zero isn’t the melting point of ice. But hey, the freezing point of brine is important for everyone to know, too.
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 12
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 28
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 30
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)