Dec 18, 2011, 2:19 PM EDT
As you may have heard, there’s an outdoor hockey game being played Jan. 2 at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia between the hometown Flyers and New York Rangers. They call it the Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic, and it can be seen on NBC (1 p.m. ET), home to hit shows like Sunday Night Football and Law & Order: SVU.
Given the game is outside, it’s important the weather cooperates – not just for the actual game, but to perfect the ice surface in the days leading up to the big event. As such, we’ll be providing regular Winter Classic weather forecasts here on PHT.
Here’s the 14-day outlook, courtesy the good people at The Weather Network.
As you can see, Jan. 2 is just outside the 14-day range, but the trend looks good so far as precipitation, or lack thereof, goes.
Only worrying part might be the temperature. How warm is too warm?
Update: (6 p.m. ET): Sincere apologies to those who are Celsius-illiterate. All further Winter Classic weather updates will be in Fahrenheit…even though it’s hard to respect a measure where zero isn’t the melting point of ice. But hey, the freezing point of brine is important for everyone to know, too.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)