Dec 18, 2011, 2:19 PM EDT
As you may have heard, there’s an outdoor hockey game being played Jan. 2 at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia between the hometown Flyers and New York Rangers. They call it the Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic, and it can be seen on NBC (1 p.m. ET), home to hit shows like Sunday Night Football and Law & Order: SVU.
Given the game is outside, it’s important the weather cooperates – not just for the actual game, but to perfect the ice surface in the days leading up to the big event. As such, we’ll be providing regular Winter Classic weather forecasts here on PHT.
Here’s the 14-day outlook, courtesy the good people at The Weather Network.
As you can see, Jan. 2 is just outside the 14-day range, but the trend looks good so far as precipitation, or lack thereof, goes.
Only worrying part might be the temperature. How warm is too warm?
Update: (6 p.m. ET): Sincere apologies to those who are Celsius-illiterate. All further Winter Classic weather updates will be in Fahrenheit…even though it’s hard to respect a measure where zero isn’t the melting point of ice. But hey, the freezing point of brine is important for everyone to know, too.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 6
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 25
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 42
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)