Dec 18, 2011, 2:19 PM EDT
As you may have heard, there’s an outdoor hockey game being played Jan. 2 at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia between the hometown Flyers and New York Rangers. They call it the Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic, and it can be seen on NBC (1 p.m. ET), home to hit shows like Sunday Night Football and Law & Order: SVU.
Given the game is outside, it’s important the weather cooperates – not just for the actual game, but to perfect the ice surface in the days leading up to the big event. As such, we’ll be providing regular Winter Classic weather forecasts here on PHT.
Here’s the 14-day outlook, courtesy the good people at The Weather Network.
As you can see, Jan. 2 is just outside the 14-day range, but the trend looks good so far as precipitation, or lack thereof, goes.
Only worrying part might be the temperature. How warm is too warm?
Update: (6 p.m. ET): Sincere apologies to those who are Celsius-illiterate. All further Winter Classic weather updates will be in Fahrenheit…even though it’s hard to respect a measure where zero isn’t the melting point of ice. But hey, the freezing point of brine is important for everyone to know, too.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)