Dec 18, 2011, 10:43 PM EDT
Another game, another win for Blackhawks goalie Ray Emery. Tonight at the United Center, Chicago (21-8-4) beat the Calgary Flames 4-2 to move into first overall in the NHL standings.
For Emery, it was his fifth straight start and fifth straight victory since taking over for struggling Corey Crawford.
The Blackhawks are in Pittsburgh Tuesday for a tough game against the Penguins, so you have to assume Emery will get the nod at least once more from coach Joel Quenneville before Crawford gets a chance at redemption.
The ‘Hawks return home Wednesday to face the Habs, so maybe Crawford will get his shot then.
We’ve already had a few interesting goaltending situations arise this season. Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider in Vancouver. Brian Elliott and Jaroslav Halak in St. Louis. And of course this one in Chicago.
Note we called them goaltending “situations,” not “controversies.” After all, it’s only December. No need for PHT to get carried away making mountains out of molehills. We won’t really start hyping this stuff up until…January.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 7
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 7
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 16
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 57
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22