Dec 18, 2011, 10:43 PM EDT
Another game, another win for Blackhawks goalie Ray Emery. Tonight at the United Center, Chicago (21-8-4) beat the Calgary Flames 4-2 to move into first overall in the NHL standings.
For Emery, it was his fifth straight start and fifth straight victory since taking over for struggling Corey Crawford.
The Blackhawks are in Pittsburgh Tuesday for a tough game against the Penguins, so you have to assume Emery will get the nod at least once more from coach Joel Quenneville before Crawford gets a chance at redemption.
The ‘Hawks return home Wednesday to face the Habs, so maybe Crawford will get his shot then.
We’ve already had a few interesting goaltending situations arise this season. Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider in Vancouver. Brian Elliott and Jaroslav Halak in St. Louis. And of course this one in Chicago.
Note we called them goaltending “situations,” not “controversies.” After all, it’s only December. No need for PHT to get carried away making mountains out of molehills. We won’t really start hyping this stuff up until…January.
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 1
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 17
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (85)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights