Dec 18, 2011, 10:43 PM EDT
Another game, another win for Blackhawks goalie Ray Emery. Tonight at the United Center, Chicago (21-8-4) beat the Calgary Flames 4-2 to move into first overall in the NHL standings.
For Emery, it was his fifth straight start and fifth straight victory since taking over for struggling Corey Crawford.
The Blackhawks are in Pittsburgh Tuesday for a tough game against the Penguins, so you have to assume Emery will get the nod at least once more from coach Joel Quenneville before Crawford gets a chance at redemption.
The ‘Hawks return home Wednesday to face the Habs, so maybe Crawford will get his shot then.
We’ve already had a few interesting goaltending situations arise this season. Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider in Vancouver. Brian Elliott and Jaroslav Halak in St. Louis. And of course this one in Chicago.
Note we called them goaltending “situations,” not “controversies.” After all, it’s only December. No need for PHT to get carried away making mountains out of molehills. We won’t really start hyping this stuff up until…January.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)