Dec 17, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Teemu Selanne makes his triumphant one-game return to Winnipeg tonight as a member of the Anaheim Ducks, but imagine if he came back as a trade deadline player to help the new Jets make the playoffs.
That’s just the kind of wishful thinking a lot of Winnipeg fans and rumor mongers are having seeing Selanne go back to where it all began back in the 90s. Jets fans now are excited about their team being in the thick of a playoff race and all that that entails and they’re thinking big.
While the Jets could be in the market to make smaller, more affordable, acquisitions to help their chances, as Kirk Penton of the Winnipeg Sun points out, putting all your hopes on Selanne being the “piece” are pretty shortsighted.
Penton says that Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff would have to give up a high draft pick or two to get Selanne and unless the Jets were a surefire Stanley Cup contender, they won’t be mortgaging the future to get anyone, even Selanne, into town.
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 16
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 4
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 23
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42
- It’s Florida Panthers day on PHT 8