Dec 17, 2011, 11:00 AM EST
Teemu Selanne makes his triumphant one-game return to Winnipeg tonight as a member of the Anaheim Ducks, but imagine if he came back as a trade deadline player to help the new Jets make the playoffs.
That’s just the kind of wishful thinking a lot of Winnipeg fans and rumor mongers are having seeing Selanne go back to where it all began back in the 90s. Jets fans now are excited about their team being in the thick of a playoff race and all that that entails and they’re thinking big.
While the Jets could be in the market to make smaller, more affordable, acquisitions to help their chances, as Kirk Penton of the Winnipeg Sun points out, putting all your hopes on Selanne being the “piece” are pretty shortsighted.
Penton says that Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff would have to give up a high draft pick or two to get Selanne and unless the Jets were a surefire Stanley Cup contender, they won’t be mortgaging the future to get anyone, even Selanne, into town.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)