Dec 17, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Teemu Selanne makes his triumphant one-game return to Winnipeg tonight as a member of the Anaheim Ducks, but imagine if he came back as a trade deadline player to help the new Jets make the playoffs.
That’s just the kind of wishful thinking a lot of Winnipeg fans and rumor mongers are having seeing Selanne go back to where it all began back in the 90s. Jets fans now are excited about their team being in the thick of a playoff race and all that that entails and they’re thinking big.
While the Jets could be in the market to make smaller, more affordable, acquisitions to help their chances, as Kirk Penton of the Winnipeg Sun points out, putting all your hopes on Selanne being the “piece” are pretty shortsighted.
Penton says that Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff would have to give up a high draft pick or two to get Selanne and unless the Jets were a surefire Stanley Cup contender, they won’t be mortgaging the future to get anyone, even Selanne, into town.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 16
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 62
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)