Dec 17, 2011, 12:20 PM EDT
Considering how things have been going in Montreal for those in charge, Habs GM Pierre Gauthier might want to make sure the Canadiens get things turned around.
Montreal’s mostly disappointing season has seen messages being sent from above all year long.
They fired former assistant coach Perry Pearn to send a message that the losing had to stop. That move got the Canadiens turned around a bit, but consistency was still lacking.
They traded for Tomas Kaberle from Carolina to help clean things up on the blue line with Andrei Markov out with knee problems. Now Jacques Martin has been fired and if this move doesn’t pan out for Montreal, it could be Pierre Gauthier who goes next and his track record isn’t too hot.
Since taking over as Canadiens GM from Bob Gainey in February 2010, Gauthier’s moves haven’t been impressive. Checking out his track record courtesy of All Habs (Part 1, Part 2), Gauthier’s done more to find parts for Montreal’s AHL team than the NHL team. All that’s left behind in Montreal now are Tomas Kaberle, Lars Eller (the “big name” in the Jaroslav Halak trade), Mike Blunden, and Petteri Nokelainen. Yikes.
Those trades on top of Erik Cole‘s monster contract this summer don’t make for a great track record while the Canadiens roll along in mediocre fashion. Gauthier’s pick for the next head coach had better be a good one because it could be the man that saves his job.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 18
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 38
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 71
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks