Dec 17, 2011, 12:20 PM EST
Considering how things have been going in Montreal for those in charge, Habs GM Pierre Gauthier might want to make sure the Canadiens get things turned around.
Montreal’s mostly disappointing season has seen messages being sent from above all year long.
They fired former assistant coach Perry Pearn to send a message that the losing had to stop. That move got the Canadiens turned around a bit, but consistency was still lacking.
They traded for Tomas Kaberle from Carolina to help clean things up on the blue line with Andrei Markov out with knee problems. Now Jacques Martin has been fired and if this move doesn’t pan out for Montreal, it could be Pierre Gauthier who goes next and his track record isn’t too hot.
Since taking over as Canadiens GM from Bob Gainey in February 2010, Gauthier’s moves haven’t been impressive. Checking out his track record courtesy of All Habs (Part 1, Part 2), Gauthier’s done more to find parts for Montreal’s AHL team than the NHL team. All that’s left behind in Montreal now are Tomas Kaberle, Lars Eller (the “big name” in the Jaroslav Halak trade), Mike Blunden, and Petteri Nokelainen. Yikes.
Those trades on top of Erik Cole‘s monster contract this summer don’t make for a great track record while the Canadiens roll along in mediocre fashion. Gauthier’s pick for the next head coach had better be a good one because it could be the man that saves his job.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)