Dec 17, 2011, 12:20 PM EDT
Considering how things have been going in Montreal for those in charge, Habs GM Pierre Gauthier might want to make sure the Canadiens get things turned around.
Montreal’s mostly disappointing season has seen messages being sent from above all year long.
They fired former assistant coach Perry Pearn to send a message that the losing had to stop. That move got the Canadiens turned around a bit, but consistency was still lacking.
They traded for Tomas Kaberle from Carolina to help clean things up on the blue line with Andrei Markov out with knee problems. Now Jacques Martin has been fired and if this move doesn’t pan out for Montreal, it could be Pierre Gauthier who goes next and his track record isn’t too hot.
Since taking over as Canadiens GM from Bob Gainey in February 2010, Gauthier’s moves haven’t been impressive. Checking out his track record courtesy of All Habs (Part 1, Part 2), Gauthier’s done more to find parts for Montreal’s AHL team than the NHL team. All that’s left behind in Montreal now are Tomas Kaberle, Lars Eller (the “big name” in the Jaroslav Halak trade), Mike Blunden, and Petteri Nokelainen. Yikes.
Those trades on top of Erik Cole‘s monster contract this summer don’t make for a great track record while the Canadiens roll along in mediocre fashion. Gauthier’s pick for the next head coach had better be a good one because it could be the man that saves his job.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)