Dec 17, 2011, 9:45 AM EDT
Once word circulated that the NHL’s Board of Governors approved a radical new four-conference alignment, the hockey world immediately began breaking it down. PHT decided to poll the masses to see which team was the biggest “winner” and “loser” from the alteration, so let’s take a look at the results now.
1. Detroit: 417 votes (29.12 percent)
2. Minnesota: 196 votes (13.69 percent)
3. Dallas: 126 votes (8.8 percent)
4. Winnipeg: 121 votes (8.45 percent)
5. Boston: 98 votes (6.84 percent)
Total votes: 1,432
As you can see, the Red Wings were the clear “winner” of realignment according to fans. The Boston Bruins were the highest ranked “East” team at fifth place. It’s a bit surprising that the Columbus Blue Jackets weren’t ranked a little higher (they garnered 67 votes). The Edmonton Oilers and Ottawa Senators received the lowest amount of votes with two each.
Here are the full results (you’ll need to zoom in … a lot).
1. Florida: 228 votes (19.13 percent)
2. Carolina: 168 votes (14.09 percent)
3. Tampa Bay: 167 votes (14.01 percent)
4. Winnipeg 62 votes (5.2 percent)
5. Detroit: 54 votes: (4.53 percent)
Total votes: 1,192
The margin of victory wasn’t as large, but the clear losers were the Florida Panthers. Interestingly enough, the only current Southeast Division team outside the top five was the Washington Capitals, who received 46 votes. The Los Angeles Kings (four) and Calgary Flames (three) received the lowest amount of votes.
Once again, prepare to squint/zoom:
Did PHT readers get it right? Talk amongst yourselves.
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 23
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 50
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 82
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (82)