Dec 17, 2011, 3:39 PM EDT
The long wait to see when Darryl Sutter would accept the Kings head coaching job is over.
Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider reports that Sutter has signed on and accepted GM Dean Lombardi’s offer to be the new Kings coach. Hammond says that Sutter will be introduced as the new coach on Tuesday or Wednesday and join the team when they get back to Los Angeles.
Interim coach John Stevens will likely coach the Kings’ next two games, one tonight against Detroit and Monday against Toronto. Sutter’s first game behind the bench would likely be Thursday at home against Anaheim.
Sutter joins a Kings team teeming with talent in Anze Kopitar, Mike Richards, Drew Doughty, Jonathan Quick, and Jack Johnson. The Kings are in need of a jolt to spark their all-around play, especially on offense. Sutter’s brand of coaching means the Kings will play with more of a snarl but they have to hope that more goals come as a result of that.
If that doesn’t work out, Lombardi might yell at the players again for trying to get another friend of his fired.
- Report: Witness subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 22
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 6
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)