Dec 17, 2011, 3:39 PM EDT
The long wait to see when Darryl Sutter would accept the Kings head coaching job is over.
Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider reports that Sutter has signed on and accepted GM Dean Lombardi’s offer to be the new Kings coach. Hammond says that Sutter will be introduced as the new coach on Tuesday or Wednesday and join the team when they get back to Los Angeles.
Interim coach John Stevens will likely coach the Kings’ next two games, one tonight against Detroit and Monday against Toronto. Sutter’s first game behind the bench would likely be Thursday at home against Anaheim.
Sutter joins a Kings team teeming with talent in Anze Kopitar, Mike Richards, Drew Doughty, Jonathan Quick, and Jack Johnson. The Kings are in need of a jolt to spark their all-around play, especially on offense. Sutter’s brand of coaching means the Kings will play with more of a snarl but they have to hope that more goals come as a result of that.
If that doesn’t work out, Lombardi might yell at the players again for trying to get another friend of his fired.
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 7
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 28
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)