Dec 17, 2011, 3:39 PM EST
The long wait to see when Darryl Sutter would accept the Kings head coaching job is over.
Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider reports that Sutter has signed on and accepted GM Dean Lombardi’s offer to be the new Kings coach. Hammond says that Sutter will be introduced as the new coach on Tuesday or Wednesday and join the team when they get back to Los Angeles.
Interim coach John Stevens will likely coach the Kings’ next two games, one tonight against Detroit and Monday against Toronto. Sutter’s first game behind the bench would likely be Thursday at home against Anaheim.
Sutter joins a Kings team teeming with talent in Anze Kopitar, Mike Richards, Drew Doughty, Jonathan Quick, and Jack Johnson. The Kings are in need of a jolt to spark their all-around play, especially on offense. Sutter’s brand of coaching means the Kings will play with more of a snarl but they have to hope that more goals come as a result of that.
If that doesn’t work out, Lombardi might yell at the players again for trying to get another friend of his fired.
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 2
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)