Dec 17, 2011, 10:14 AM EDT
Another day, another head coach fired.
The Montreal Canadiens have fired Jacques Martin after two and a half seasons with the team. The team did not announce the hiring of a new full-time coach immediately and named Randy Cunneyworth the team’s interim head coach. Larry Carrière becomes the new assistant coach under Cunneyworth to fill out the staff.
With Montreal having a coaching vacancy, their hunt for a new coach is one that works differently than the other 29 teams in the league. The Habs will look for the best qualified coach who is fluent in both French and English so as to better deal with everything in Montreal.
Two names that instantly come to mind immediately that fit that description: Michel Therrien and Bob Hartley. The Canadiens’ AHL coach in Hamilton, Clement Jodoin, could also be in the mix.
With the amount of talent there is in Montreal and the lack of performance we’ve seen out of them under Martin, you have to wonder what took GM Pierre Gauthier so long to pull the trigger. In the meantime, the Canadiens have seen homegrown coaches Guy Boucher and Kirk Muller escape Montreal’s system for other NHL head coaching jobs. Don’t suppose Montreal would like a do-over there, do you?
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 46
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 65
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 32
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (81)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games