Dec 17, 2011, 10:14 AM EDT
Another day, another head coach fired.
The Montreal Canadiens have fired Jacques Martin after two and a half seasons with the team. The team did not announce the hiring of a new full-time coach immediately and named Randy Cunneyworth the team’s interim head coach. Larry Carrière becomes the new assistant coach under Cunneyworth to fill out the staff.
With Montreal having a coaching vacancy, their hunt for a new coach is one that works differently than the other 29 teams in the league. The Habs will look for the best qualified coach who is fluent in both French and English so as to better deal with everything in Montreal.
Two names that instantly come to mind immediately that fit that description: Michel Therrien and Bob Hartley. The Canadiens’ AHL coach in Hamilton, Clement Jodoin, could also be in the mix.
With the amount of talent there is in Montreal and the lack of performance we’ve seen out of them under Martin, you have to wonder what took GM Pierre Gauthier so long to pull the trigger. In the meantime, the Canadiens have seen homegrown coaches Guy Boucher and Kirk Muller escape Montreal’s system for other NHL head coaching jobs. Don’t suppose Montreal would like a do-over there, do you?
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 10
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 24
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 14
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)