Dec 17, 2011, 10:14 AM EDT
Another day, another head coach fired.
The Montreal Canadiens have fired Jacques Martin after two and a half seasons with the team. The team did not announce the hiring of a new full-time coach immediately and named Randy Cunneyworth the team’s interim head coach. Larry Carrière becomes the new assistant coach under Cunneyworth to fill out the staff.
With Montreal having a coaching vacancy, their hunt for a new coach is one that works differently than the other 29 teams in the league. The Habs will look for the best qualified coach who is fluent in both French and English so as to better deal with everything in Montreal.
Two names that instantly come to mind immediately that fit that description: Michel Therrien and Bob Hartley. The Canadiens’ AHL coach in Hamilton, Clement Jodoin, could also be in the mix.
With the amount of talent there is in Montreal and the lack of performance we’ve seen out of them under Martin, you have to wonder what took GM Pierre Gauthier so long to pull the trigger. In the meantime, the Canadiens have seen homegrown coaches Guy Boucher and Kirk Muller escape Montreal’s system for other NHL head coaching jobs. Don’t suppose Montreal would like a do-over there, do you?
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 6
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 6
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 9
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 37
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)