Dec 17, 2011, 10:14 AM EST
Another day, another head coach fired.
The Montreal Canadiens have fired Jacques Martin after two and a half seasons with the team. The team did not announce the hiring of a new full-time coach immediately and named Randy Cunneyworth the team’s interim head coach. Larry Carrière becomes the new assistant coach under Cunneyworth to fill out the staff.
With Montreal having a coaching vacancy, their hunt for a new coach is one that works differently than the other 29 teams in the league. The Habs will look for the best qualified coach who is fluent in both French and English so as to better deal with everything in Montreal.
Two names that instantly come to mind immediately that fit that description: Michel Therrien and Bob Hartley. The Canadiens’ AHL coach in Hamilton, Clement Jodoin, could also be in the mix.
With the amount of talent there is in Montreal and the lack of performance we’ve seen out of them under Martin, you have to wonder what took GM Pierre Gauthier so long to pull the trigger. In the meantime, the Canadiens have seen homegrown coaches Guy Boucher and Kirk Muller escape Montreal’s system for other NHL head coaching jobs. Don’t suppose Montreal would like a do-over there, do you?
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 2
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 61
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)