Three (News) Stars of the Week: Bryzgalov makes us think, Bolland makes Vancouver mad, and concussions make the NHL…woozy?
Dec 16, 2011, 6:33 PM EST
“Three (News) Stars of the Week” will run every Friday. It’s our way of acknowledging the week’s big NHL stories that gave us lots of page views, thereby increasing PHT’s attractiveness to advertisers.
Third star: Ilya Bryzgalov is a unique character
HBO’s “24/7 Flyers/Rangers” series debuted this week. Despite strong performances from John Tortorella and Ryan Callahan’s plucky grandmother, there was no question who stole the show. Philadelphia’s eccentric goalie had viewers questioning their very existence while philosophizing on the enormity of the universe and inferring we’re all but a tiny speck compared to what’s out there beyond our own measly galaxy. He also had a stern warning for anyone who was thinking about traveling to China to kill a tiger.
Second star: Dave Bolland knows how to stir it up
The Blackhawks’ pesky checking forward was already a villain in Vancouver. Then he went on a Chicago radio station and called the Sedin twins “the sisters” and the city they play in full of “weirdos.” Not surprisingly, his comments struck a nerve with Canucks fans, whose nerves seem to be struck quite frequently. Bolland eventually clarified his comments, saying they were “tongue-in-cheek” and that he had the “utmost respect for the Sedin twins”…even though they sleep in bunk beds.
First star: Concussions are a hot-button issue
Chris Pronger is done for the season. Claude Giroux is out now. So is Jeff Skinner. Sidney Crosby hasn’t played since suffering a setback. Any other concussion victims? Yep, lots of them. Including Milan Michalek, Mike Richards, Kris Letang and Marc Staal. Never before have brain injuries affected so many of the NHL’s stars at the same time. The league is pleading for calmer heads to prevail, but the concussed heads are the ones making the headlines.
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 0
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)