Dec 16, 2011, 10:59 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils aren’t the elite team they once were when Scott Niedermayer patrolled their blueline, but they sure put on a show as his No. 27 ascended to the rafters. It only makes sense that a Devils first-round pick ran with that game, too, as Zach Parise dominated the action. Parise scored four points as the Devils overwhelmed the Dallas Stars 6-3.
Usually a goal is the highlight reel fodder, but my favorite Parise moment was one of his three assists. He fouled up Stephane Robidas next to the Stars’ blue line and then sent a perfect pass to Adam Henrique for an impressive shortie.
It’s starting to look like Parise is over his knee injury, by the way. The talented winger has points in all but one of his last 10 games, including eight in his last three.
Parise picked a great time for his best game of the season as this was the Devils’ first sellout since opening night, according to Tom Gulitti. New Jersey is heating up, as well, as they’ve ridden good shootout work and improving high-end scoring to a 5-1 record in their last six games.
It’s hard to tell what these 17-13-1 Devils are really capable of, but one thing seems clear: Parise’s back.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 8
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 18
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 80
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (80)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)