Dec 16, 2011, 8:30 AM EDT
This might be stunning news, but the Bruins’ defense just isn’t quite the same without Zdeno Chara.
We know, it’s crazy talk, but the Bruins have been giving up a lot more shots on goal in their two games without the perennial Norris Trophy finalist. While they’ve won both games without Chara, things just aren’t the same.
CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty hears it from everyone on the Bruins about having to be better defensively, but Patrice Bergeron sums it up best saying, “We need to be better and can’t allow that many shots while relying on our goalies to carry us.”
Carry them they have. Tim Thomas and Tuukka Rask both have been outstanding in both games and have stopped 88 out of 90 shots the last two games. Averaging 45 shots against is brutal for any team to handle, even the Bruins who already allow an average of over 31 shots per. Maybe the Bruins defense just likes to make sure their goalies stay awake.
Most teams would suffer in a big way going without their top defenseman but the Bruins have persevered. It’s almost as if they’re a team capable of winning the Stanley Cup all over again.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)