Dec 16, 2011, 8:30 AM EDT
This might be stunning news, but the Bruins’ defense just isn’t quite the same without Zdeno Chara.
We know, it’s crazy talk, but the Bruins have been giving up a lot more shots on goal in their two games without the perennial Norris Trophy finalist. While they’ve won both games without Chara, things just aren’t the same.
CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty hears it from everyone on the Bruins about having to be better defensively, but Patrice Bergeron sums it up best saying, “We need to be better and can’t allow that many shots while relying on our goalies to carry us.”
Carry them they have. Tim Thomas and Tuukka Rask both have been outstanding in both games and have stopped 88 out of 90 shots the last two games. Averaging 45 shots against is brutal for any team to handle, even the Bruins who already allow an average of over 31 shots per. Maybe the Bruins defense just likes to make sure their goalies stay awake.
Most teams would suffer in a big way going without their top defenseman but the Bruins have persevered. It’s almost as if they’re a team capable of winning the Stanley Cup all over again.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)