Dec 16, 2011, 1:55 PM EST
Former NHL player and current hockey analyst Mike Milbury has been charged with assault and battery on a 12-year-old boy during a pee-wee game last Friday night (Dec. 9) in Brookline, Mass.
Milbury, 59, played more than 1,500 games in the NHL for the Boston Bruins. He also spent time as an NHL coach and general manager.
Milbury allegedly assaulted a child on the Boston Junior Black Hawks in a game against the Boch Blazers, for whom Milbury serves as an assistant coach and his son plays. The incident allegedly occurred on the ice in response to a confrontation between the child and Milbury’s son.
Milbury is a hockey analyst for NBC, CBC and NESN.
Update (4:05 p.m. ET): Milbury denies allegations
Update (5:05 p.m. ET): Statement from an NBC Sports Group spokesperson: “In our discussions with Mike, we both came to the conclusion that he should remain off the air while focusing on his affairs.”
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 0
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)