Dec 16, 2011, 1:55 PM EDT
Former NHL player and current hockey analyst Mike Milbury has been charged with assault and battery on a 12-year-old boy during a pee-wee game last Friday night (Dec. 9) in Brookline, Mass.
Milbury, 59, played more than 1,500 games in the NHL for the Boston Bruins. He also spent time as an NHL coach and general manager.
Milbury allegedly assaulted a child on the Boston Junior Black Hawks in a game against the Boch Blazers, for whom Milbury serves as an assistant coach and his son plays. The incident allegedly occurred on the ice in response to a confrontation between the child and Milbury’s son.
Milbury is a hockey analyst for NBC, CBC and NESN.
Update (4:05 p.m. ET): Milbury denies allegations
Update (5:05 p.m. ET): Statement from an NBC Sports Group spokesperson: “In our discussions with Mike, we both came to the conclusion that he should remain off the air while focusing on his affairs.”
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)