Dec 16, 2011, 3:13 PM EDT
Where’s Mark Messier’s money? The Canucks gonna give him his money? Where’s his money, man? WHERE’S THE MONEY?
/throws the Canucks down the stairs
Indeed, Mark Messier’s getting real tired of the Vancouver Canucks ducking him. According to a TSN report, the former NHL star believes they owe him some serious money.
From the Vancouver Province:
Messier joined the Canucks from the New York Rangers in the summer of 1997 in a highly publicized free agent signing that, due to a host of on- and off-ice factors, marked the beginning of a downward spiral that sent the team to one of the lowest points in franchise history. The team missed the playoffs in each of his three seasons in Vancouver.
Messier was signed to a three-year, $20-million contract and departed after the term of the deal. He re-signed with the Rangers, with whom he had won the Stanley Cup in 1994, in the summer of 2000.
The TSN report said Messier, 50, believes a clause in his contract with Vancouver entitles him to additional money from the team. The report said an arbitrator will hear the case in the spring.
So what kind of money are we talking about here? For that we’ll defer to Iain MacIntyre of the Vancouver Sun:
The Canucks released the following statement in response to the report: “The contractual situation involving Mark Messier and the hockey club is being addressed through an arbitration process and as a result Canucks Sports & Entertainment will respectfully defer further comment until the issue has been resolved.”
And then they went out and bought a fake mustache.
PS — Apologies to those who didn’t get the reference to the TV show you can watch on a network that isn’t NBC.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 4
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 22
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)