Dec 16, 2011, 3:13 PM EDT
Where’s Mark Messier’s money? The Canucks gonna give him his money? Where’s his money, man? WHERE’S THE MONEY?
/throws the Canucks down the stairs
Indeed, Mark Messier’s getting real tired of the Vancouver Canucks ducking him. According to a TSN report, the former NHL star believes they owe him some serious money.
From the Vancouver Province:
Messier joined the Canucks from the New York Rangers in the summer of 1997 in a highly publicized free agent signing that, due to a host of on- and off-ice factors, marked the beginning of a downward spiral that sent the team to one of the lowest points in franchise history. The team missed the playoffs in each of his three seasons in Vancouver.
Messier was signed to a three-year, $20-million contract and departed after the term of the deal. He re-signed with the Rangers, with whom he had won the Stanley Cup in 1994, in the summer of 2000.
The TSN report said Messier, 50, believes a clause in his contract with Vancouver entitles him to additional money from the team. The report said an arbitrator will hear the case in the spring.
So what kind of money are we talking about here? For that we’ll defer to Iain MacIntyre of the Vancouver Sun:
The Canucks released the following statement in response to the report: “The contractual situation involving Mark Messier and the hockey club is being addressed through an arbitration process and as a result Canucks Sports & Entertainment will respectfully defer further comment until the issue has been resolved.”
And then they went out and bought a fake mustache.
PS — Apologies to those who didn’t get the reference to the TV show you can watch on a network that isn’t NBC.
- Blackhawks nearly blow it…but don’t 1
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 3
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 27
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 27
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming