Dec 16, 2011, 3:13 PM EDT
Where’s Mark Messier’s money? The Canucks gonna give him his money? Where’s his money, man? WHERE’S THE MONEY?
/throws the Canucks down the stairs
Indeed, Mark Messier’s getting real tired of the Vancouver Canucks ducking him. According to a TSN report, the former NHL star believes they owe him some serious money.
From the Vancouver Province:
Messier joined the Canucks from the New York Rangers in the summer of 1997 in a highly publicized free agent signing that, due to a host of on- and off-ice factors, marked the beginning of a downward spiral that sent the team to one of the lowest points in franchise history. The team missed the playoffs in each of his three seasons in Vancouver.
Messier was signed to a three-year, $20-million contract and departed after the term of the deal. He re-signed with the Rangers, with whom he had won the Stanley Cup in 1994, in the summer of 2000.
The TSN report said Messier, 50, believes a clause in his contract with Vancouver entitles him to additional money from the team. The report said an arbitrator will hear the case in the spring.
So what kind of money are we talking about here? For that we’ll defer to Iain MacIntyre of the Vancouver Sun:
The Canucks released the following statement in response to the report: “The contractual situation involving Mark Messier and the hockey club is being addressed through an arbitration process and as a result Canucks Sports & Entertainment will respectfully defer further comment until the issue has been resolved.”
And then they went out and bought a fake mustache.
PS — Apologies to those who didn’t get the reference to the TV show you can watch on a network that isn’t NBC.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)