Dec 16, 2011, 12:48 PM EDT
Damian Cristodero of the St. Petersburg Times reports that Lightning defenseman Mattias Ohlund — who underwent dual-knee surgery on Oct. 11 and hasn’t played this year — might be lost for the entire 2011-12 campaign.
Yesterday, Tampa Bay head coach Guy Boucher told Cristodero he’s operating as though Ohlund won’t be back, then offered a bleak outlook on the alternate captain’s future.
“I’ve been doing that for a while; not because I didn’t think he’d come back, but that’s how I have to be as a coach,” Boucher said. “As a team, guys are not really waiting for him. We’ve accepted we’ve lost one of our top [defensemen] and other guys have to play against the top lines and log the minutes.”
The 35-year-old Ohlund had surgery on both knees to clean out “loose bodies” (a phrase that’s entirely new to me) and hasn’t skated since mid-November. Many see his absence as a big reason for Tampa’s inflated goals-against total and spotty defensive play — last season, Ohlund finished second on the team in blocked shots, third in hits and was one of the top-three penalty-killing defensemen.
“It just hurts him a lot more than what he would have expected or the doctors would have expected,” Boucher said. “It’s difficult to manage because you can’t do much more than what’s been done. It’s pain tolerance. It’s a question of mobility. It’s a question of can he skate at the level in the NHL he needs to follow.”
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 69
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (92)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (72)