Dec 16, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
Louis Leblanc is finding that being the hometown hero in Montreal is a roller coaster of emotions.
Last night during the second period of Montreal’s 4-3 loss to Philadelphia, Leblanc scored his first NHL goal in front of the adoring home fans. The same fans that went wild when he was drafted there in 2009. The same fans that saw Leblanc play just 49 seconds in the third period.
With the frustrations Habs fans have had with their team this year and seeing the team struggle with scoring goals, you’d think seeing a rookie take charge and score his first goal would result in being rewarded with more ice time. Instead, coach Jacques Martin kept his lines together and rolled them out in machine-like fashion.
Leblanc being on Montreal’s fourth line with Mike Blunden and Yannick Weber meant that in a close game they weren’t going to see much action. Leblanc’s ability to create offense apparently not as important to Martin as his ability to sit on the bench and watch the game. Martin sure knows how to twist fans into a knot.
Curious what a standing ovation for scoring your first goal looks like? Check it out.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)