Dec 16, 2011, 3:01 PM EDT
When it was learned Dallas lost Kari Lehtonen’s services until after Christmas, most figured the Stars were toast.
Then along came Richard Bachman.
Tonight in New Jersey, the unheralded 24-year-old rookie will make his fourth consecutive start, looking to improve upon his eye-popping numbers: 3-0-0 record, 0.90 GAA and .970 save percentage.
Not bad from a guy that was playing for Colorado College two years ago.
Bachman’s story is even more impressive when you consider the Stars’ circumstances. They were already flirting with implosion when Lehtonen got hurt (having lost seven of nine) and seemed in deep trouble when Lehtonen’s backup, Andrew Raycroft, gave up 10 goals in back-to-back losses to the Islanders and Sharks.
But that’s when head coach Glen Gulutzan handed the reins to Bachman.
“He’s a steady guy and he’s a good rebound control goalie,” Gulutzan said. “He’s not the biggest goalie you’re going to see in the NHL, but very clean and very composed in his and he’s given us a couple good games here.”
Thanks to Bachman, the Stars have managed to hold onto the Pacific Division lead and find themselves sitting third in the Western Conference heading into tonight’s game. While it might be asking a lot of Bachman to start his fourth straight in New Jersey (the second of back-to-back games), Gulutzan feels his goalie is up to the challenge.
“I’ve seen him play three in three nights (in the AHL) and play well in all three,” he told ESPN Dallas. “I have no problem playing him back-to-back. I think our team has to play well in front of him, which we are more than capable of doing.”
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 13
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 23
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 23
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 11
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 79
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 25
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 58
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (89)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (79)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT