Dec 16, 2011, 4:21 PM EDT
I’ve never been to Buffalo, but based on what I’ve heard, it won’t be winning one of those “most livable cities in the world” awards they’re always handing out.
Indeed, making fun of the city on the eastern shores of Lake Erie has become a bit of a tradition among sports fans. For example, “Christian Ehrhoff might be $40 million richer, but he still has to live in Buffalo.”
For Buffalo natives, it has to get real tiresome. Which is why yesterday’s tweet by visiting Maple Leafs forward Joffrey Lupul caused such a stir.
QMI reports that Lupul “was the heated topic of the morning talk shows here on Friday for his controversial tweet on Thursday afternoon.”
In a related story, Vancouver thinks Buffalo is being way too sensitive. So what if Lupul took a poke at your city. He was just having fun. You have to learn to lighten up. DAVE BOLLAND SAID WHAT?! HAVE THAT MAN SHOT.
To Lupul’s credit, he was quick to apologize to any Buffalonian who was offended.
“I was just joking,” Lupul said Friday. “I’m from Fort Saskatchewan. It makes Buffalo look like Rome.”
Great, now the phone lines will be heating up on Fort Saskatchewan radio. They might even have to pre-empt the highly rated “Talk about your Ford F-150” show.
Just kidding, Fort Saskatchewan. At least you’re not Fort McMurray.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 71
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5