Dec 16, 2011, 4:21 PM EDT
I’ve never been to Buffalo, but based on what I’ve heard, it won’t be winning one of those “most livable cities in the world” awards they’re always handing out.
Indeed, making fun of the city on the eastern shores of Lake Erie has become a bit of a tradition among sports fans. For example, “Christian Ehrhoff might be $40 million richer, but he still has to live in Buffalo.”
For Buffalo natives, it has to get real tiresome. Which is why yesterday’s tweet by visiting Maple Leafs forward Joffrey Lupul caused such a stir.
QMI reports that Lupul “was the heated topic of the morning talk shows here on Friday for his controversial tweet on Thursday afternoon.”
In a related story, Vancouver thinks Buffalo is being way too sensitive. So what if Lupul took a poke at your city. He was just having fun. You have to learn to lighten up. DAVE BOLLAND SAID WHAT?! HAVE THAT MAN SHOT.
To Lupul’s credit, he was quick to apologize to any Buffalonian who was offended.
“I was just joking,” Lupul said Friday. “I’m from Fort Saskatchewan. It makes Buffalo look like Rome.”
Great, now the phone lines will be heating up on Fort Saskatchewan radio. They might even have to pre-empt the highly rated “Talk about your Ford F-150” show.
Just kidding, Fort Saskatchewan. At least you’re not Fort McMurray.
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 5
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 14
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 8
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 57
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination