Dec 16, 2011, 4:21 PM EDT
I’ve never been to Buffalo, but based on what I’ve heard, it won’t be winning one of those “most livable cities in the world” awards they’re always handing out.
Indeed, making fun of the city on the eastern shores of Lake Erie has become a bit of a tradition among sports fans. For example, “Christian Ehrhoff might be $40 million richer, but he still has to live in Buffalo.”
For Buffalo natives, it has to get real tiresome. Which is why yesterday’s tweet by visiting Maple Leafs forward Joffrey Lupul caused such a stir.
QMI reports that Lupul “was the heated topic of the morning talk shows here on Friday for his controversial tweet on Thursday afternoon.”
In a related story, Vancouver thinks Buffalo is being way too sensitive. So what if Lupul took a poke at your city. He was just having fun. You have to learn to lighten up. DAVE BOLLAND SAID WHAT?! HAVE THAT MAN SHOT.
To Lupul’s credit, he was quick to apologize to any Buffalonian who was offended.
“I was just joking,” Lupul said Friday. “I’m from Fort Saskatchewan. It makes Buffalo look like Rome.”
Great, now the phone lines will be heating up on Fort Saskatchewan radio. They might even have to pre-empt the highly rated “Talk about your Ford F-150” show.
Just kidding, Fort Saskatchewan. At least you’re not Fort McMurray.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)