Dec 16, 2011, 4:21 PM EDT
I’ve never been to Buffalo, but based on what I’ve heard, it won’t be winning one of those “most livable cities in the world” awards they’re always handing out.
Indeed, making fun of the city on the eastern shores of Lake Erie has become a bit of a tradition among sports fans. For example, “Christian Ehrhoff might be $40 million richer, but he still has to live in Buffalo.”
For Buffalo natives, it has to get real tiresome. Which is why yesterday’s tweet by visiting Maple Leafs forward Joffrey Lupul caused such a stir.
QMI reports that Lupul “was the heated topic of the morning talk shows here on Friday for his controversial tweet on Thursday afternoon.”
In a related story, Vancouver thinks Buffalo is being way too sensitive. So what if Lupul took a poke at your city. He was just having fun. You have to learn to lighten up. DAVE BOLLAND SAID WHAT?! HAVE THAT MAN SHOT.
To Lupul’s credit, he was quick to apologize to any Buffalonian who was offended.
“I was just joking,” Lupul said Friday. “I’m from Fort Saskatchewan. It makes Buffalo look like Rome.”
Great, now the phone lines will be heating up on Fort Saskatchewan radio. They might even have to pre-empt the highly rated “Talk about your Ford F-150” show.
Just kidding, Fort Saskatchewan. At least you’re not Fort McMurray.
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 6
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 15
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 38
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 16
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 38
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)