Dec 16, 2011, 2:23 PM EDT
According to The Arizona Republic, the City of Glendale could be getting a cool $4.75 million settlement from Jerry Moyes’ bankrupt company, Coyotes Hockey LLC.
No truth to the rumor that Glendale will build a monorail with the windfall.
The proposed settlement still has to be approved by a U.S. Bankruptcy Court judge next month.
Glendale has claimed $590 million in losses stemming from Moyes’ decision to abandon his NHL team’s lease at Jobing.com Arena.
The 30-year lease at the city-owned arena (with the massive penalty for breaking it) was reportedly one of the main factors that led to Moyes’ and Jim Balsillie’s decision (scheme?) to place the franchise into bankruptcy. Often a bankruptcy court will cancel leases, and a canceled lease would’ve opened the door for a move to Canada.
No word yet if Wayne Gretzky will receive any settlement money.
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 2
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 17
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 27
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles