Dec 16, 2011, 8:26 PM EDT
Scott Niedermayer doesn’t have Martin Brodeur‘s all-time records. He didn’t provide a highlight reel’s worth of bone-crushing hits like Scott Stevens. Instead, the silky-smooth defenseman made a mark on the NHL because of his speed, defensive acumen and all-around ability. He also happened to be a classy guy. For those reasons and more, the New Jersey Devils hoisted his No. 27 to the rafters tonight. Watch the banner-raising ceremony in the video below.
This story includes highlights from Niedermayer’s speech, including this quote.
“It was an honor and a privilege to be a New Jersey Devil,” Niedermayer said. “These memories, I will cherish the rest of my life.”
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 0
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 35
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6