Dec 16, 2011, 8:26 PM EDT
Scott Niedermayer doesn’t have Martin Brodeur‘s all-time records. He didn’t provide a highlight reel’s worth of bone-crushing hits like Scott Stevens. Instead, the silky-smooth defenseman made a mark on the NHL because of his speed, defensive acumen and all-around ability. He also happened to be a classy guy. For those reasons and more, the New Jersey Devils hoisted his No. 27 to the rafters tonight. Watch the banner-raising ceremony in the video below.
This story includes highlights from Niedermayer’s speech, including this quote.
“It was an honor and a privilege to be a New Jersey Devil,” Niedermayer said. “These memories, I will cherish the rest of my life.”
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 17
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 15
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5