Dec 16, 2011, 5:26 PM EDT
Amidst the doom and gloom surrounding the Flyers today, CSN Philadelphia’s Tim Panaccio thinks he might’ve found a silver lining: Chris Pronger might not definitely be done for the year.
Sure, the Flyers have said that Pronger’s season is over. And sure, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren admitted his captain’s career might be in jeopardy.
But when asked about Pronger potentially returning months down the road — assuming his post-concussion symptoms had cleared — Holmgren left the door open.
“We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it,” he said. “I think right now, Chris is not an option. If he gets better somewhere over the next month, months, we’ll address that when we get there.”
Panaccio then went on to explain…
If you think about it, by announcing that Pronger is done for this year, including playoffs, the Flyers have removed “uncertainty” from the dressing room. He’s gone, he’s not coming back, the team moves forward.
This is in contrast to how the Penguins handled Sidney Crosby last season, never saying he was done, allowing their players to believe he might return. Crosby even practiced with the club during the playoffs.
Panaccio also noted Holmgren couldn’t explain why the Flyers ruled Pronger out for the playoffs, even though the postseason doesn’t begin until April.
“That’s a good question,” Holmgren said. “I don’t know. I guess just the way he’s felt since we believe what was the original injury, maybe years of playing in the NHL. I can’t answer that.”
Another intriguing development is the organization not naming a replacement captain. Holmgren said his veteran leadership group (including Daniel Briere and Kimmo Timonen) would fill the void, but some feel it’s another sign the door’s being left open for Pronger to return.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)