Dec 15, 2011, 11:46 AM EDT
Travis Zajac‘s recovery from a torn Achilles is nearly at an end.
According to Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice, Zajac skated on the third line in practice this morning and it’s looking like the Devils may just get their top center back in the lineup this weekend, perhaps as early as Friday against Dallas.
(Update 12:17 p.m. ET: Katie Strang of ESPN New York tweets that Zajac will be in the lineup on Friday night.)
Getting Zajac back in the lineup will be a huge lift for New Jersey and give them some surprising depth thanks to the surprising play of rookie Adam Henrique. With Zajac back as their eventual first line center and Henrique or Patrik Elias in place as the second line center, the Devils’ top six looks a lot more formidable than it looked before the season started.
Dealing with the Devils is tough enough as it is with how tough they play defensively, but with three solid play makers up the middle to go along with Zach Parise and Ilya Kovalchuk (even with his struggles) gives the Devils plenty to work with offensively.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 9
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)