Dec 15, 2011, 11:46 AM EDT
Travis Zajac‘s recovery from a torn Achilles is nearly at an end.
According to Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice, Zajac skated on the third line in practice this morning and it’s looking like the Devils may just get their top center back in the lineup this weekend, perhaps as early as Friday against Dallas.
(Update 12:17 p.m. ET: Katie Strang of ESPN New York tweets that Zajac will be in the lineup on Friday night.)
Getting Zajac back in the lineup will be a huge lift for New Jersey and give them some surprising depth thanks to the surprising play of rookie Adam Henrique. With Zajac back as their eventual first line center and Henrique or Patrik Elias in place as the second line center, the Devils’ top six looks a lot more formidable than it looked before the season started.
Dealing with the Devils is tough enough as it is with how tough they play defensively, but with three solid play makers up the middle to go along with Zach Parise and Ilya Kovalchuk (even with his struggles) gives the Devils plenty to work with offensively.
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 4
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 15
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 15
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9