Dec 15, 2011, 11:46 AM EST
Travis Zajac‘s recovery from a torn Achilles is nearly at an end.
According to Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice, Zajac skated on the third line in practice this morning and it’s looking like the Devils may just get their top center back in the lineup this weekend, perhaps as early as Friday against Dallas.
(Update 12:17 p.m. ET: Katie Strang of ESPN New York tweets that Zajac will be in the lineup on Friday night.)
Getting Zajac back in the lineup will be a huge lift for New Jersey and give them some surprising depth thanks to the surprising play of rookie Adam Henrique. With Zajac back as their eventual first line center and Henrique or Patrik Elias in place as the second line center, the Devils’ top six looks a lot more formidable than it looked before the season started.
Dealing with the Devils is tough enough as it is with how tough they play defensively, but with three solid play makers up the middle to go along with Zach Parise and Ilya Kovalchuk (even with his struggles) gives the Devils plenty to work with offensively.
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 4
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 7
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 10
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 32
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 23
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 41
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 33
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 33
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 59
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)