Dec 15, 2011, 5:11 PM EDT
It ain’t easy being Koivu.
Earlier today, it was reported that Minnesota Wild captain Mikko Koivu suffered an apparent injury in last night’s 4-3 shootout loss to the Blackhawks.
Tough break…but maybe he’ll have time to spend with his bro?
Yesterday, the Anaheim Ducks announced they placed Saku Koivu on injured reserve after he was hurt in a loss at St. Louis last week, aggravating a recurring groin issue. Saku didn’t play against Phoenix and his roster spot was filled by recently-returned Lubomir Visnovsky.
We’ve already discussed what a big blow Mikko’s injury would be to Minnesota, but let’s not sleep on Saku’s presence with the Ducks. It’s been a solid season for the elder Koivu — he’s Anaheim’s alternate captain, missed just two of the first 30 games, was on pace for 44 points and led the team with a plus-four rating (impressive, given the Ducks only have seven plus players this year.)
According to various sources, the Ducks have not placed a timetable on Saku’s return.
- Report: Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 4
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 9
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 2
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 23
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)