Dec 15, 2011, 5:11 PM EDT
It ain’t easy being Koivu.
Earlier today, it was reported that Minnesota Wild captain Mikko Koivu suffered an apparent injury in last night’s 4-3 shootout loss to the Blackhawks.
Tough break…but maybe he’ll have time to spend with his bro?
Yesterday, the Anaheim Ducks announced they placed Saku Koivu on injured reserve after he was hurt in a loss at St. Louis last week, aggravating a recurring groin issue. Saku didn’t play against Phoenix and his roster spot was filled by recently-returned Lubomir Visnovsky.
We’ve already discussed what a big blow Mikko’s injury would be to Minnesota, but let’s not sleep on Saku’s presence with the Ducks. It’s been a solid season for the elder Koivu — he’s Anaheim’s alternate captain, missed just two of the first 30 games, was on pace for 44 points and led the team with a plus-four rating (impressive, given the Ducks only have seven plus players this year.)
According to various sources, the Ducks have not placed a timetable on Saku’s return.
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 4
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 29
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 16
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 75
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)