Dec 15, 2011, 5:11 PM EDT
It ain’t easy being Koivu.
Earlier today, it was reported that Minnesota Wild captain Mikko Koivu suffered an apparent injury in last night’s 4-3 shootout loss to the Blackhawks.
Tough break…but maybe he’ll have time to spend with his bro?
Yesterday, the Anaheim Ducks announced they placed Saku Koivu on injured reserve after he was hurt in a loss at St. Louis last week, aggravating a recurring groin issue. Saku didn’t play against Phoenix and his roster spot was filled by recently-returned Lubomir Visnovsky.
We’ve already discussed what a big blow Mikko’s injury would be to Minnesota, but let’s not sleep on Saku’s presence with the Ducks. It’s been a solid season for the elder Koivu — he’s Anaheim’s alternate captain, missed just two of the first 30 games, was on pace for 44 points and led the team with a plus-four rating (impressive, given the Ducks only have seven plus players this year.)
According to various sources, the Ducks have not placed a timetable on Saku’s return.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)