Dec 15, 2011, 5:11 PM EDT
It ain’t easy being Koivu.
Earlier today, it was reported that Minnesota Wild captain Mikko Koivu suffered an apparent injury in last night’s 4-3 shootout loss to the Blackhawks.
Tough break…but maybe he’ll have time to spend with his bro?
Yesterday, the Anaheim Ducks announced they placed Saku Koivu on injured reserve after he was hurt in a loss at St. Louis last week, aggravating a recurring groin issue. Saku didn’t play against Phoenix and his roster spot was filled by recently-returned Lubomir Visnovsky.
We’ve already discussed what a big blow Mikko’s injury would be to Minnesota, but let’s not sleep on Saku’s presence with the Ducks. It’s been a solid season for the elder Koivu — he’s Anaheim’s alternate captain, missed just two of the first 30 games, was on pace for 44 points and led the team with a plus-four rating (impressive, given the Ducks only have seven plus players this year.)
According to various sources, the Ducks have not placed a timetable on Saku’s return.
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 45
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 31
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 60
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 51
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (61)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)