Dec 15, 2011, 2:31 PM EDT
We linked to this story in the Morning Skate, so you’ve probably already read it because nobody misses the Morning Skate. But just in case, league disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan was in Nashville yesterday to talk to the Predators about player safety as well as get their feedback on the job he’s done cutting down on dangerous play.
The Tootoo suspension was especially contentious, and Shanahan undoubtedly heard a few dissenting opinions during the meeting. Which in fact was sort of the point.
“One of the things I want to be the hallmark of our department is transparency and a willingness to answer hard questions at hard times,” Shanahan told The Tennessean.
It’s never a bad idea to keep the lines of communication open. Sometimes people just like getting things off their chest. The alternative is to let bad feelings fester. Next thing you know there’s anarchy of biblical proportions.
OK, so Shanahan and Tootoo probably didn’t end up hugging it out – Tootoo’s suspension cost him $13,513, and that’s a new Ford Fiesta right there – but like Preds GM David Poile said, “Though they may not agree with each other, at least they’ve had the conversation to understand his thinking and reasoning to understand why he did what he did.”
Shanahan’s visit to Nashville wasn’t just a one-off. He’s touring the league to make presentations and talk to each team. No truth to the rumor his meeting in Boston will consist entirely of high-fiving with the Bruins.
- Under Pressure: Turris, MacArthur & Ryan 0
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 5
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47