Dec 15, 2011, 2:31 PM EDT
We linked to this story in the Morning Skate, so you’ve probably already read it because nobody misses the Morning Skate. But just in case, league disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan was in Nashville yesterday to talk to the Predators about player safety as well as get their feedback on the job he’s done cutting down on dangerous play.
The Tootoo suspension was especially contentious, and Shanahan undoubtedly heard a few dissenting opinions during the meeting. Which in fact was sort of the point.
“One of the things I want to be the hallmark of our department is transparency and a willingness to answer hard questions at hard times,” Shanahan told The Tennessean.
It’s never a bad idea to keep the lines of communication open. Sometimes people just like getting things off their chest. The alternative is to let bad feelings fester. Next thing you know there’s anarchy of biblical proportions.
OK, so Shanahan and Tootoo probably didn’t end up hugging it out – Tootoo’s suspension cost him $13,513, and that’s a new Ford Fiesta right there – but like Preds GM David Poile said, “Though they may not agree with each other, at least they’ve had the conversation to understand his thinking and reasoning to understand why he did what he did.”
Shanahan’s visit to Nashville wasn’t just a one-off. He’s touring the league to make presentations and talk to each team. No truth to the rumor his meeting in Boston will consist entirely of high-fiving with the Bruins.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)