Dec 15, 2011, 2:31 PM EDT
We linked to this story in the Morning Skate, so you’ve probably already read it because nobody misses the Morning Skate. But just in case, league disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan was in Nashville yesterday to talk to the Predators about player safety as well as get their feedback on the job he’s done cutting down on dangerous play.
The Tootoo suspension was especially contentious, and Shanahan undoubtedly heard a few dissenting opinions during the meeting. Which in fact was sort of the point.
“One of the things I want to be the hallmark of our department is transparency and a willingness to answer hard questions at hard times,” Shanahan told The Tennessean.
It’s never a bad idea to keep the lines of communication open. Sometimes people just like getting things off their chest. The alternative is to let bad feelings fester. Next thing you know there’s anarchy of biblical proportions.
OK, so Shanahan and Tootoo probably didn’t end up hugging it out – Tootoo’s suspension cost him $13,513, and that’s a new Ford Fiesta right there – but like Preds GM David Poile said, “Though they may not agree with each other, at least they’ve had the conversation to understand his thinking and reasoning to understand why he did what he did.”
Shanahan’s visit to Nashville wasn’t just a one-off. He’s touring the league to make presentations and talk to each team. No truth to the rumor his meeting in Boston will consist entirely of high-fiving with the Bruins.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 46
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)