Dec 15, 2011, 3:37 PM EDT
If you’re curious why fighting holds such importance within the game of hockey, read Joe Haggerty’s latest article for CSNNE.com.
“It’s a time in the game where they’re outshooting us 9-2 at the time and they had the jump on us,” Lucic explained afterward. “I only had one fight going into this one and he’s a good, honest hockey player. So I definitely felt like it was the right time.
“It shows the chemistry we have as a group. The guys care for each other and appreciate the fact we stick up for each other.”
The very next shift, Bruins forward Rich Peverley scored to give Boston a 1-0 lead. The very next shift. That impact wasn’t lost on Lucic, nor on head coach Claude Julien.
“We were so flat that when that happened and he responded well, we scored shortly after that,” said Julien. “We almost needed that. The ice seemed to be tilted in one direction in that first half of the first, and we seemed to pick up our game after [the Lucic fight].”
And herein lies the issue with a potential ban on fighting. When executed properly and under the right circumstances, a good ol’ hockey fight can simultaneously be 1) great entertainment, 2) an unparalleled momentum-shifter and 3) an immeasurable contribution. Statistically speaking, Lucic’s night was forgettable — 13:08 TOI, minus-1 rating, one hit, one shot on goal — but his coach and teammates will tell you his impact on the game was huge.
PS: That Lucic took on Carkner was a big deal. Carkner’s a bonafide heavyweight, easily one of the toughest and best fighters in the league. Boston got a real lift out of watching Looch hold his own. I’ll never forget the time Tanner Glass bravely took Carkner on, only for this to happen:
That fight didn’t have a Lucic-like effect on Vancouver. Ottawa scored three minutes later and went on to win 3-1.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)