Dec 15, 2011, 3:37 PM EDT
If you’re curious why fighting holds such importance within the game of hockey, read Joe Haggerty’s latest article for CSNNE.com.
“It’s a time in the game where they’re outshooting us 9-2 at the time and they had the jump on us,” Lucic explained afterward. “I only had one fight going into this one and he’s a good, honest hockey player. So I definitely felt like it was the right time.
“It shows the chemistry we have as a group. The guys care for each other and appreciate the fact we stick up for each other.”
The very next shift, Bruins forward Rich Peverley scored to give Boston a 1-0 lead. The very next shift. That impact wasn’t lost on Lucic, nor on head coach Claude Julien.
“We were so flat that when that happened and he responded well, we scored shortly after that,” said Julien. “We almost needed that. The ice seemed to be tilted in one direction in that first half of the first, and we seemed to pick up our game after [the Lucic fight].”
And herein lies the issue with a potential ban on fighting. When executed properly and under the right circumstances, a good ol’ hockey fight can simultaneously be 1) great entertainment, 2) an unparalleled momentum-shifter and 3) an immeasurable contribution. Statistically speaking, Lucic’s night was forgettable — 13:08 TOI, minus-1 rating, one hit, one shot on goal — but his coach and teammates will tell you his impact on the game was huge.
PS: That Lucic took on Carkner was a big deal. Carkner’s a bonafide heavyweight, easily one of the toughest and best fighters in the league. Boston got a real lift out of watching Looch hold his own. I’ll never forget the time Tanner Glass bravely took Carkner on, only for this to happen:
That fight didn’t have a Lucic-like effect on Vancouver. Ottawa scored three minutes later and went on to win 3-1.
- 2015 Norris Trophy finalists: Doughty, Karlsson and Subban 3
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 15
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 11
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 69
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 49
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (85)