Dec 15, 2011, 9:47 AM EDT
It’s really not funny to joke about Rick DiPietro‘s injury problems anymore.
After DiPietro hurt his groin over a week ago, the Islanders have made the inevitable move of putting him on injured reserve. With Evgeni Nabokov back from his own injury, putting DiPietro on IR hurts a bit less. The fact that he’s hurt yet again, however, has become some kind of sad reoccurring nightmare for DiPietro.
DiPietro’s injury is bad enough for New York but his play in goal this season has managed to be worse. Out of DiPietro, Nabokov, and Al Montoya it was DiPietro who was playing the worst of the bunch. If nothing else, the time away could help DiPietro clear his mind about how he’s played.
Then again, maybe medical science will someday improve so that even DiPietro can play a full season without any issues.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 18
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 62
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)