Dec 15, 2011, 9:47 AM EST
It’s really not funny to joke about Rick DiPietro‘s injury problems anymore.
After DiPietro hurt his groin over a week ago, the Islanders have made the inevitable move of putting him on injured reserve. With Evgeni Nabokov back from his own injury, putting DiPietro on IR hurts a bit less. The fact that he’s hurt yet again, however, has become some kind of sad reoccurring nightmare for DiPietro.
DiPietro’s injury is bad enough for New York but his play in goal this season has managed to be worse. Out of DiPietro, Nabokov, and Al Montoya it was DiPietro who was playing the worst of the bunch. If nothing else, the time away could help DiPietro clear his mind about how he’s played.
Then again, maybe medical science will someday improve so that even DiPietro can play a full season without any issues.
- GM Wilson: It’s too early to tell if Hertl’s season is done 8
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 9
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 71
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 66
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 33
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (108)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)