Dec 15, 2011, 8:13 AM EST
If you’re looking for a player to use as an example of how concussions can linger through a career, look no further than Minnesota’s Guillaume Latendresse.
Latendresse played just over seven minutes last night in Minnesota’s shootout loss to Chicago leaving the game with what was ultimately determined to be post-concussion syndrome. For Latendresse, it was his second game back since returning from a different concussion and his latest injury will have him shut down indefinitely as Michael Russo of The Star Tribune reports.
Latendresse has had nagging injury problems virtually his entire career but his battle with concussions is what’s bothered him the most of late. When healthy, Latendresse is a solid, physical forward capable of scoring goals in bunches. Even in last night’s game with limited playing time he had four hits.
If ever you wondered why teams are being especially careful these days in how they handle players with concussions, Latendresse is providing a great modern example why. With the Wild playing as well as they are, not having a potential weapon like Latendresse hurts.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)