Dec 15, 2011, 9:07 AM EDT
Congratulations to Howard Berger for writing the first “Sidney Crosby should consider retirement” column since the Penguins’ superstar was forced to sit out again. You knew that someone was going to pen a column like this; it was just a matter of who would do it.
Berger’s reasons why Crosby should think about doing it, however, are inspired by Eric Lindros. After all, Lindros’ career came to a premature end because of continued concussion problems that turned him from a physical monster on the ice to a shell of his former MVP-winning self.
Berger says it’s inevitable that Crosby will continue to have problems with concussions, but while there’s a possibility that it could happen, comparing him with Lindros preemptively is foolish.
Back when Lindros played, concussions weren’t treated the same way they are now. Even in the mid-90s, guys would shrug concussions off and come back well before their brains were actually ready for action. Nowadays you only see that sort of thing happen in the NFL. Well… For the most part, anyhow.
The concussion protocols and the extreme amount of care the Penguins are putting into Crosby’s treatment are the sorts of things that Lindros wishes he had when he was playing. Had he been better taken care of his career may have lasted a bit longer and the debate over whether he’s worthy of the Hall of Fame wouldn’t be necessary.
Asking Crosby to consider retirement at this point is fear mongering on a hot button topic at in its most basic form. Crosby isn’t about to give up the game after a setback like this.
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 0
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 12
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 19
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 15
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)