Dec 15, 2011, 9:07 AM EDT
Congratulations to Howard Berger for writing the first “Sidney Crosby should consider retirement” column since the Penguins’ superstar was forced to sit out again. You knew that someone was going to pen a column like this; it was just a matter of who would do it.
Berger’s reasons why Crosby should think about doing it, however, are inspired by Eric Lindros. After all, Lindros’ career came to a premature end because of continued concussion problems that turned him from a physical monster on the ice to a shell of his former MVP-winning self.
Berger says it’s inevitable that Crosby will continue to have problems with concussions, but while there’s a possibility that it could happen, comparing him with Lindros preemptively is foolish.
Back when Lindros played, concussions weren’t treated the same way they are now. Even in the mid-90s, guys would shrug concussions off and come back well before their brains were actually ready for action. Nowadays you only see that sort of thing happen in the NFL. Well… For the most part, anyhow.
The concussion protocols and the extreme amount of care the Penguins are putting into Crosby’s treatment are the sorts of things that Lindros wishes he had when he was playing. Had he been better taken care of his career may have lasted a bit longer and the debate over whether he’s worthy of the Hall of Fame wouldn’t be necessary.
Asking Crosby to consider retirement at this point is fear mongering on a hot button topic at in its most basic form. Crosby isn’t about to give up the game after a setback like this.
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 5
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 20
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 14
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)