Dec 15, 2011, 9:07 AM EDT
Congratulations to Howard Berger for writing the first “Sidney Crosby should consider retirement” column since the Penguins’ superstar was forced to sit out again. You knew that someone was going to pen a column like this; it was just a matter of who would do it.
Berger’s reasons why Crosby should think about doing it, however, are inspired by Eric Lindros. After all, Lindros’ career came to a premature end because of continued concussion problems that turned him from a physical monster on the ice to a shell of his former MVP-winning self.
Berger says it’s inevitable that Crosby will continue to have problems with concussions, but while there’s a possibility that it could happen, comparing him with Lindros preemptively is foolish.
Back when Lindros played, concussions weren’t treated the same way they are now. Even in the mid-90s, guys would shrug concussions off and come back well before their brains were actually ready for action. Nowadays you only see that sort of thing happen in the NFL. Well… For the most part, anyhow.
The concussion protocols and the extreme amount of care the Penguins are putting into Crosby’s treatment are the sorts of things that Lindros wishes he had when he was playing. Had he been better taken care of his career may have lasted a bit longer and the debate over whether he’s worthy of the Hall of Fame wouldn’t be necessary.
Asking Crosby to consider retirement at this point is fear mongering on a hot button topic at in its most basic form. Crosby isn’t about to give up the game after a setback like this.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)