Dec 15, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT
Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune reports another potentially crucial loss for the Wild, suggesting that captain and leading scorer Mikko Koivu was injured in overtime of a 4-3 shootout loss to Chicago last night.
Russo believes the injury occurred during Koivu’s final shift of the extra frame, which is why he wasn’t involved in the shootout (strange, as Koivu’s 25 shootout goals are seventh-most in NHL history.)
Russo also added it’s been confirmed that Koivu was hurt — early speculation suggests a leg injury — and that he’ll see doctors today.
So, worst case scenario for the Wild? Koivu misses time, meaning they’d be without four of their top-six forwards. Devin Setoguchi (knee), Guillaume Lantendresse (concussion), Pierre-Marc Bouchard (broken nose/face) are already out — all told, Minnesota has lost 117 man games to injury.
And yet they’re still the best team in the NHL.
I have officially stopped trying to make sense of this. Last night, Minnesota took Chicago the distance — losing in a shootout — with a lineup featuring Cody Almond, Brad Staubitz, Clayton Stoner, Warren Peters and Mike Lundin. Jared Spurgeon, who two years ago was an unsigned free agent out of Spokane, played a game-high 27:30.
And for you amateur capologists out there, consider this: Last night’s lineup featured 12 guys making less than $1.5-million annually.
/throws hands up, walks out
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)