Dec 15, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT
Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune reports another potentially crucial loss for the Wild, suggesting that captain and leading scorer Mikko Koivu was injured in overtime of a 4-3 shootout loss to Chicago last night.
Russo believes the injury occurred during Koivu’s final shift of the extra frame, which is why he wasn’t involved in the shootout (strange, as Koivu’s 25 shootout goals are seventh-most in NHL history.)
Russo also added it’s been confirmed that Koivu was hurt — early speculation suggests a leg injury — and that he’ll see doctors today.
So, worst case scenario for the Wild? Koivu misses time, meaning they’d be without four of their top-six forwards. Devin Setoguchi (knee), Guillaume Lantendresse (concussion), Pierre-Marc Bouchard (broken nose/face) are already out — all told, Minnesota has lost 117 man games to injury.
And yet they’re still the best team in the NHL.
I have officially stopped trying to make sense of this. Last night, Minnesota took Chicago the distance — losing in a shootout — with a lineup featuring Cody Almond, Brad Staubitz, Clayton Stoner, Warren Peters and Mike Lundin. Jared Spurgeon, who two years ago was an unsigned free agent out of Spokane, played a game-high 27:30.
And for you amateur capologists out there, consider this: Last night’s lineup featured 12 guys making less than $1.5-million annually.
/throws hands up, walks out
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)