Dec 15, 2011, 10:14 PM EDT
Is the NHL dealing with a concussion epidemic or is the league just dealing with some horrific luck? However you look at it, the hits keep coming as New York Islanders winger Brian Rolston left a game against the Dallas Stars with a concussion.
Of course, the big difference is that Rolston isn’t a star. He’s 38-years-old and has just seven points and a -6 rating in 27 games with the Isles. Rolston is just as likely to retire because of ineffective play as he would thanks to this head injury.
If anything, from a pure hockey standpoint, his injury might open the door for a younger player to get some more ice time. Still, it doesn’t change the fact that it’s a sad situation, especially after a grueling week for the NHL.
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 26
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 88
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 43
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 73
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 63