Dec 14, 2011, 6:55 PM EST
The Wednesday Wake-Up Call is where we pick a struggling player and kindly ask him to SNAP OUT OF IT ALREADY. COME ON. YOU’RE BETTER THAN THIS!
Nikolai Kulemin, LW, Toronto Maple Leafs
Key stat: Hasn’t scored a goal in 53 days.
Yes, you read that right.
The last time Kulemin lit the lamp was Oct. 22 in a 5-4 win over Montreal. That was his second goal of the season…and it’s still his second goal of the season. Though I guess it will always be the second goal of his season. But you know what I mean. Two goals in 30 games. This from the same breakout performer that scored 30 goals last year.
(This year, he’s on pace for five.)
Kulemin’s goalless streak now sits at 23 games, which has sunk him to 13th on the team in goalscoring. Joey Crabb has more goals than him. Matt Frattin has more goals than him. Heck, Cody Franson has more goals than him, and Franson’s only played in 15 of Toronto’s 30 games.
Now, the reason we’re giving Kulemin the wake-up call is because he’s unlikely to get it elsewhere. Leafs head coach Ron Wilson is adamant about not putting Kulemin in the press box — in fact, he’s not even willing to cut his ice time. Kulemin played almost 15 minutes on Tuesday against Carolina, which was more than six other Toronto forwards.
“Wilson is giving Kulemin top-six ice time for a bottom-six scorer,” wrote Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun. “All in the belief that any minute now this nightmare will be over.”
Nope, there doesn’t seem to be wake-up call on the horizon.
Wake up, Nikolai Kulemin. Your team needs you.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 0
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 52
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (52)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)