Dec 14, 2011, 4:16 PM EST
Another day, another Sabre on the shelf.
Buffalo head coach Lindy Ruff has informed reporters that forward Ville Leino will be out several weeks with a lower-body injury. What ails Leino remains unclear, though it’s believed he was hurt in last night’s 3-2 loss to Ottawa — the Finnish forward took just one shift in the final 9:25 of play, a 56-second turn that ended with just over a minute remaining.
(For what it’s worth, Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News suggests Leino could’ve suffered a knee or foot problem, possibly a broken bone in his foot.)
The loss is a big one for Buffalo, mostly because it adds another name to the walking wounded list. Tyler Myers, Brad Boyes, Nathan Gerbe, Jochen Hecht and Corey Tropp are already out injured while Patrick Kaleta — who practiced fully on Wednesday — is close to a return, but still not 100 percent.
The injury also comes at a time when Leino wasn’t playing like one of the worst free agent signings ever. He had five points in his last seven games — hardly the output expected after signing a six-year, $27-million deal, but an improvement nonetheless.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)