Dec 14, 2011, 4:16 PM EDT
Another day, another Sabre on the shelf.
Buffalo head coach Lindy Ruff has informed reporters that forward Ville Leino will be out several weeks with a lower-body injury. What ails Leino remains unclear, though it’s believed he was hurt in last night’s 3-2 loss to Ottawa — the Finnish forward took just one shift in the final 9:25 of play, a 56-second turn that ended with just over a minute remaining.
(For what it’s worth, Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News suggests Leino could’ve suffered a knee or foot problem, possibly a broken bone in his foot.)
The loss is a big one for Buffalo, mostly because it adds another name to the walking wounded list. Tyler Myers, Brad Boyes, Nathan Gerbe, Jochen Hecht and Corey Tropp are already out injured while Patrick Kaleta — who practiced fully on Wednesday — is close to a return, but still not 100 percent.
The injury also comes at a time when Leino wasn’t playing like one of the worst free agent signings ever. He had five points in his last seven games — hardly the output expected after signing a six-year, $27-million deal, but an improvement nonetheless.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)