Dec 14, 2011, 4:16 PM EDT
Another day, another Sabre on the shelf.
Buffalo head coach Lindy Ruff has informed reporters that forward Ville Leino will be out several weeks with a lower-body injury. What ails Leino remains unclear, though it’s believed he was hurt in last night’s 3-2 loss to Ottawa — the Finnish forward took just one shift in the final 9:25 of play, a 56-second turn that ended with just over a minute remaining.
(For what it’s worth, Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News suggests Leino could’ve suffered a knee or foot problem, possibly a broken bone in his foot.)
The loss is a big one for Buffalo, mostly because it adds another name to the walking wounded list. Tyler Myers, Brad Boyes, Nathan Gerbe, Jochen Hecht and Corey Tropp are already out injured while Patrick Kaleta — who practiced fully on Wednesday — is close to a return, but still not 100 percent.
The injury also comes at a time when Leino wasn’t playing like one of the worst free agent signings ever. He had five points in his last seven games — hardly the output expected after signing a six-year, $27-million deal, but an improvement nonetheless.
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 29
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 38
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 49
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)