Dec 14, 2011, 6:22 PM EDT
While we’re not sure what you’ll be seeing tonight on the debut episode of HBO’s 24/7 Flyers/Rangers: Road to the NHL Winter Classic, we can tell you what you won’t be seeing: Flyers star Claude Giroux in the “quiet room” after suffering a concussion on this play:
That’s Giroux taking a Wayne Simmonds knee to the head Saturday against Tampa Bay. The hit dazed Giroux and sent him off for evaluation — and that’s where the HBO cameras stopped rolling, according to Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington.
He notes an HBO cameraman tried to follow Giroux in, but was denied access by Flyers GM Paul Holmgren (who, it should be noted, was most accommodating of the 24/7 crew, even giving them seats on the team’s charter flights.)
Gormely also reports Holmgren’s request for privacy received support from the NHL.
This is noteworthy, because HBO pretty much has its run of the roost while filming the teams. Consider what Caps winger Mike Knuble told Gormley about last season’s series, when cameras went into Washington’s trainer’s room.
“That’s like the Number One off-limits place to anybody,” Knuble said. “Boyd Gordon is on the table after a game and tells them to get the hell out of here. George [McPhee] came in and told them they’ve got to let them in. George is one of the most private GMs there is and he’s like, ‘You guys gotta let him in there and give him the access.'”
Not allowing cameras into the quiet room speaks volumes about how incredibly guarded teams are with concussions. It should be noted, though, that Alastair McKevitt — the HBO cameraman following the Flyers — said the organization has been extremely cooperative throughout the process.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22