Dec 14, 2011, 6:22 PM EDT
While we’re not sure what you’ll be seeing tonight on the debut episode of HBO’s 24/7 Flyers/Rangers: Road to the NHL Winter Classic, we can tell you what you won’t be seeing: Flyers star Claude Giroux in the “quiet room” after suffering a concussion on this play:
That’s Giroux taking a Wayne Simmonds knee to the head Saturday against Tampa Bay. The hit dazed Giroux and sent him off for evaluation — and that’s where the HBO cameras stopped rolling, according to Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington.
He notes an HBO cameraman tried to follow Giroux in, but was denied access by Flyers GM Paul Holmgren (who, it should be noted, was most accommodating of the 24/7 crew, even giving them seats on the team’s charter flights.)
Gormely also reports Holmgren’s request for privacy received support from the NHL.
This is noteworthy, because HBO pretty much has its run of the roost while filming the teams. Consider what Caps winger Mike Knuble told Gormley about last season’s series, when cameras went into Washington’s trainer’s room.
“That’s like the Number One off-limits place to anybody,” Knuble said. “Boyd Gordon is on the table after a game and tells them to get the hell out of here. George [McPhee] came in and told them they’ve got to let them in. George is one of the most private GMs there is and he’s like, ‘You guys gotta let him in there and give him the access.'”
Not allowing cameras into the quiet room speaks volumes about how incredibly guarded teams are with concussions. It should be noted, though, that Alastair McKevitt — the HBO cameraman following the Flyers — said the organization has been extremely cooperative throughout the process.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)