Dec 14, 2011, 6:22 PM EST
While we’re not sure what you’ll be seeing tonight on the debut episode of HBO’s 24/7 Flyers/Rangers: Road to the NHL Winter Classic, we can tell you what you won’t be seeing: Flyers star Claude Giroux in the “quiet room” after suffering a concussion on this play:
That’s Giroux taking a Wayne Simmonds knee to the head Saturday against Tampa Bay. The hit dazed Giroux and sent him off for evaluation — and that’s where the HBO cameras stopped rolling, according to Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington.
He notes an HBO cameraman tried to follow Giroux in, but was denied access by Flyers GM Paul Holmgren (who, it should be noted, was most accommodating of the 24/7 crew, even giving them seats on the team’s charter flights.)
Gormely also reports Holmgren’s request for privacy received support from the NHL.
This is noteworthy, because HBO pretty much has its run of the roost while filming the teams. Consider what Caps winger Mike Knuble told Gormley about last season’s series, when cameras went into Washington’s trainer’s room.
“That’s like the Number One off-limits place to anybody,” Knuble said. “Boyd Gordon is on the table after a game and tells them to get the hell out of here. George [McPhee] came in and told them they’ve got to let them in. George is one of the most private GMs there is and he’s like, ‘You guys gotta let him in there and give him the access.'”
Not allowing cameras into the quiet room speaks volumes about how incredibly guarded teams are with concussions. It should be noted, though, that Alastair McKevitt — the HBO cameraman following the Flyers — said the organization has been extremely cooperative throughout the process.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 73
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14