Dec 14, 2011, 10:48 AM EDT
After the Jets one-upped the Lightning and grabbed Antti Miettinen off re-entry waivers yesterday, they’re hoping the Finnish winger will be ready to play this weekend. Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff says they’re trying everything in their power to get him into town and ready to play as soon as possible.
The timing for Miettinen’s return to the NHL after bombing out in Europe is a fun one as Winnipeg will be welcoming back their greatest Finnish player of all time on Saturday in Teemu Selanne. Miettinen can only hope he’ll have a small taste of the success Selanne had playing in Winnipeg when he eventually suits up for the Jets.
Miettinen will bring more forward depth to a Jets team that can use all it can get. While they’ve been doing well enough this season to hang around in the playoff race, they don’t quite have the depth to withstand any injuries. Miettinen’s two-way skills should help them out there.
Of course, if Miettinen does make his Jets debut on Saturday, he and the rest of the players suiting up that night will have to be OK with stepping aside for Selanne to take the spotlight for the night.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 16
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 20
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 57
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 23
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car